Sutherland Shire Council's Ocean Safety and Lifeguards team want you and your family to enjoy our beautiful beaches and this video is a great way to get acquainted with the basics!
Beach safety facilities
Lifeguard observation towers are located at Cronulla, North Cronulla, Elouera and Wanda beaches.
An Emergency Response Beacon (ERB) is located at Greenhills Beach (Track 1 and Track 6), to the north at Potter Point and to the south at Blackwoods Beach. The ERB provides an instant communication link to Surf Life Saving NSW who relay information to our lifeguards.
Beach safety tips
- Swim between the red and yellow flags.
- Read safety signs on the beach.
- Ask lifeguards for advice if you’re unsure of surf conditions.
- Swim with a friend.
- Stay calm and attract attention by raising an arm if you need help in the water.
- Do not swim directly after a meal or if under the influence of alcohol.
- Do not swim when the beach is closed or unpatrolled.
- Do not struggle against a rip or current. Swim diagonally across a rip, towards white water which can push you toward shore.
- Supervise children around water.
- Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek Shade and Slide - follow sun safety advice from the Cancer Council.
Information factsheets in English and other languages
Surfhero – survive with Sonny! - a fun way to learn about beach and surf safety.
Ocean Safety Lifeguards