If you apply to hold an event at a sporting field, we will consider:

  • community sporting groups with priority access via the field allocation process and existing agreements
  • the significance of the location to sporting groups
  • the type of event
  • the time of year
  • scheduled maintenance activities.

Site plan

You will need to provide a site plan for your event, including:

  • the location, surrounding roads and temporary structures, such as marquees or tents
  • traffic management, including vehicle movements during setting-up and packing away
  • the location of bins, toilets and first-aid facilities
  • entry and exit points
  • emergency services locations
  • power sources.

The site plan does not have to be drawn to scale but must be accurate enough for us to assess the likely impact of the event.


Event organisers are required by the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 to promote equal access. When planning your event, consider:

  • public and private transport
  • parking for people with disability
  • wheelchair access
  • hearing loops or Auslan interpreters
  • accessibility of toilets
  • seating and viewing areas for people with disability and carers
  • access for emergency vehicles
  • wide entrance and exit paths
  • print information and signage in large font.

Temporary structures


Stages larger than 50m² require technical and structural drawings and certification by a structural engineer, which must be submitted to Council one week before the event.

Certification is not required if your stage area is less than 50m² and no higher than 2m from the ground.

All stages must be structurally adequate, installed following manufacturers’ specifications and compliant with the State Environmental Planning Policy 2008.

You must supply a copy of the stage installer’s public liability insurance to the value of $20 million with Sutherland Shire Council listed as an interested party.

Marquees, tents and stalls

Certification is not required for marquees or tents if the structure (or group of structures) have an area less than 300m² and is no higher than 6m at the highest point. You must supply the details of the company installing them and a certificate of structural soundness.

Marquees larger than 300m² require technical and structural drawings. Equipment installed or used on the site must be maintained in a serviceable condition and operated in a proper manner.

Amusements and rides

Event organisers providing amusements or rides must comply with NSW Work Health Safety Regulation 2011 - PDF - 7275 KB.

Organisers must ensure the company providing the ride or device has appropriate paperwork, such as a current service logbook and a Registration Certificate provided by SafeWork NSW.


Event organisers must hire security:

  • when property remains on the site overnight
  • for ticketed events
  • when liquor is being served
  • when large attendance numbers are expected
  • when money is exchanged.

You must also notify your local police command about the event.

Development Application

You must complete a Development Application if the event requires:

  • building of temporary structures
  • plans for waste, traffic, pedestrian and amenity management
  • road closures.

The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 outlines relevant legislative requirements. Contact our team if you need help with your DA.

Contact Us

Business and Community Team