Apply to hold an event in Sutherland Shire

Contact us so we can advise you on a location to suit your needs. We issue permits and approve activities in accordance with NSW Local Government Act 1993 and Crown Land Management Act 2016.

The first step is to submit a general event enquiry.

Your Event Application Form must be submitted eight weeks before the event date, along with all supporting documentation. Fees apply for late applications. We will assess your application and advise you of our decision. If your application is successful, we will issue you an invoice and your permit will be issued after the payment of the event fees.

Event timeframes

Consider these timeframes when applying to hold an event:

Event requirementTime required before proposed event date
Development Application28 weeks
Traffic, road closure, sign application16 weeks
Event Application Form - PDF - 1387 KB submitted to Council8 weeks
Liquor licence application4 weeks
Fee payment and processing2 weeks
Notification to residents and businesses1-2 weeks
Notification to emergency services1-2 weeks

Fees and bonds

Fees apply for holding an event. You may also be required to pay a bond. We will inspect the venue before and after the event to assess any damage.

External approvals

In addition to Council approvals, you may also require approvals and permissions from external agencies and services. It is your responsibility to apply for:

  • Temporary Event Liquor Licence
  • fundraising authorisations
  • Notice of Intention to Hold a Public Assembly
  • user-pays policing services
  • Road Occupancy Licence and special event clearways
  • events on waterways
  • public film screening permission.

Private events

The use of Council land for private corporate events depends on the nature of event, the number of participants and the maintenance schedule. Private events can be held at:

Exclusive use of a public park or reserve is not permitted. Public access must be available at all times.

If you require exclusive use of a venue:

Book a community venue

Approvals for jumping castles and other amusement devices are not required on private land. Amusement rides are only permitted on Council property in conjunction with a temporary event application - PDF - 1387 KB for a corporate or community event.


We welcome film projects and adhere to the Local Government Filming Protocol - PDF - 348 KB. An application is required to film on Council land.

Contact Us

Business and Community Team