AthleticsOperational management

Clubs have responsibility of taking care of all operational matters in the management of fields and issues should be covered in the sporting group’s Operational Plan of Management.

Agreements, leases, permits and licences

We have a Community leasing policy - PDF - 218 KB which outlines terms and conditions for community groups and associations to lease community land. Contact our Property Team for more information.

Liquor Licence

Sports clubs wishing to sell and consume alcohol on Council properties need to contact Liquor & Gaming NSW for information on how to obtain a liquor licence. Clubs can apply online on Liquor & Gaming NSW.

The consumption and sale of alcohol at events (other than on game days) needs to be registered with NSW Police. Council reserves the right to prohibit the sale and consumption of alcohol at any event or impose special conditions on an event selling alcohol.

Anti-social incidents

Report anti-social behaviour that you or your club witness to police at the time of the incident. Contact the Police Assistance Line (PAL) for your incident to be logged and recorded. Police will give you an event number of the incident.

Attendance behaviour

Clubs are to ensure that security and crowd control measures are in place. Supervision and control of attendees including players, officials, spectators, visiting teams and children is a requirement of the Terms and Conditions in the Hire of Sutherland Shire Council’s sporting fields, tracks and courts - PDF - 264 KB.

Banners, signage and advertising

The placement of any advertising, banners and/or signs (permanent or temporary) on Council property must follow Council’s Community and Sporting Banners Guidelines - PDF - 13711 KB.

Floodlights and power

All hirers have access to floodlights at sport fields. We set floodlight timers seasonally per the allocation schedule. Timers are adjusted for daylight savings. Any changes to timers made by the clubs during the season may incur a fee.

Floodlights are to switched on and off manually. We will issue unique PINs for clubs using fields with floodlighting controlled by SMS. Lights can be activated remotely by sending SMS text messages from mobile phones. Your PIN is to be kept secure as billing charges will be tracked to this PIN.

SMS command message structure:

  1. Your pin code
  2. Either 1 = ON or 0 = OFF
  3. Field or court number
  4. End character

All users are responsible for the payment of electricity costs associated with allocated use. Costs include floodlights, the building, including security lights and other electrical use.

We will replace blown globes (where the installations are approved by Council), cross arms and poles.

For further information on operating the floodlight system, refer to the Club User Instructions.


When preparing and selling food, sports clubs are required to comply with Food Standards Australia & New Zealand and Food Safety Act 2003.

Temporary food stalls or a charity/not for profit organisation do not need to appoint a food safety supervisor but all other food standards must be met. Temporary food stalls are only permitted to operate at an event with existing development consent or Council approval that includes the sale of food. Construction, stall design and layout must comply with the NSW Food Authority's Guidelines For Food Handling at Temporary Events.

Keys and padlocks

Keys and padlocks remain Council property. We have access to all areas of sporting facilities to enable officers to conduct inspections, including regulatory fire inspections, and resolve maintenance issues. We will supply clubs with keys for internal storage doors. Keys must be returned to us when a hirer is no longer using the facility.

Where non-approved locks are fitted to a facility, locks will be removed and replaced at the hirer’s expense. Contact us regarding any key or padlock issues.

Lost property

Clubs should advise members of their club’s lost property process and let them know that we do not collect, keep or take any responsibility for lost property.

Utility invoices

Users are responsible for the payment of electricity costs associated with floodlights and water costs associated with building use. Where users receive utility invoices directly and the allocated area is shared, an agreement on costs between parties is required prior to use. A utilities charge will be invoiced to hirers to cover the use of utilities where users are not directly billed.

Volunteering in sport

Volunteering in local sport is a great opportunity to help others and meet new people, it gives a feeling and sense of community and it provides opportunities to acquire knowledge and skills. For more information on volunteering in sport visit NSW Office of Sport- Volunteers.

Waste management

It is the responsibility of each ground user to leave the grounds (and surrounding area) in a clean and tidy state, cleaning fees may be charged to the user. Clubs are responsible for placing bins out for bin collection on designated collection days. Bins should be returned to cages/storage points.