You must get Council approval for certain work in public spaces. A public place includes public roads, nature strips, footpaths, bridges and public reserves, including public wharves and boat ramps, as well as crown reserve land.

Types of work requiring approval

Approval is required to carry out works on land that is owned or managed by us. Fees may be payable.

Construction of a new driveway requires approval under Section 138 Roads Act 1993. Applications are assessed under ‘Access and Alignment Level Application’ submitted to Council.

  • Driveways are to be designed in accordance with AS2890.1 and Sutherland Shire Councils DCP.
  • Driveways are to be designed and sited to accommodate street gully pits, street trees, and maximise the availability of on-street parking.

Only approved concreters - PDF - 194 KB can undertake works for single residential driveways on Public Road Reserves (verges or nature strips). Please note we are not recommending the companies listed.

Concreters can apply to be added to our approved list.

Apply - single residential house

Apply - dual-occupancy

Apply - large developments and non-residential/commercial properties

Make a general enquiry about works in driveways

If you want to open, excavate or bore into a public road or footpath to undertake public utility service connections or works (i.e connect stormwater, sewer, temporary de-watering etc)  you must have Council approval.

Apply - single residential house

Apply - dual-occupancy

Apply - large developments and non-residential/commercial property

If you want to operate a crane, concrete pump or elevated platform from the roadway or footpath area to facilitate construction works, you must have Council approval.

Approval is also required if an on-site tower crane will be lifting, slewing or swinging across a road or footpath.

Please note: A permit fee does apply to this application

Apply for crane/conc. pump permission

Work zone applications include work such as:

  • the use of a roadway for construction purposes or the loading and unloading of vehicles
  • building on or in the vicinity of a road
  • regulation of traffic on a road or the carriage of utility services across a road
  • a length of road delineated by work zone signs (set aside by the Road Authority) for dropping off or picking up goods and materials.

Please note: A permit fee does apply to this application

Apply for On-road work zone permission

An area to be fenced off or separated from a public area to facilitate works, including installing or replacing shop front signage or awnings.

Please note: A permit fee does apply to this application

Apply for hoarding permission

Larger-scale developments that generally require excess works within the road reserve.

A detailed frontage design is generally a condition of development consent.

Separate applications may also be required so Council can determine the scope of works and approve the design.

Apply for detailed frontage works application - PDF - 305 KB

Submitting this application will enable Council to provide alignment information for large developments or steep or complex driveway access. This application is applied for before you have submitted a development application and will assist in the preparation of your Development Application (DA).

Apply for Property Alignment level application - - PDF - 69 KB

Approval is required to place a skip bin on public land (footpath or roadway) and you must apply at least five days in advance.

Bins can be placed for a maximum of 14 days on the nature strip/footpath, or 7 days on a roadway. You do not need a permit to place a skip bin on private property.

Shipping containers or storage pods are not permitted on Council property.

Apply for a skip bin

This application is for COMMUNITY EVENTS ONLY such as fetes or parades.

Applications must be lodged at least three months in advance.

Please direct enquiries to Council’s Traffic and Transport department on 02 9710 0277.

Apply for Road Closure - PDF - 128 KB

Council’s guidelines - PDF - 13711 KB outline requirements and the application process for the placement of banners or signage on Council land. Commercial banners / banners advertising private companies are not permitted on Council land including fences and railings.  For more information contact our Public Domain team on 02 9710 0108.

If you would like permission to put a temporary banner/sign on a Council fence please contact our Customer Service on 97100333.

If you need to access Council's stormwater drainage infrastructure as part of a Development Application or Complying Development, you will need to organise a preliminary discussion.

If you want to connect your property drainage to Council's existing stormwater drainage infrastructure in a reserve, submit an application to Property Services.

If you want to connect your property drainage  to Council's existing stormwater drainage in a road or street , submit a Road Opening application.

This guideline - PDF - 146 KB is required to ensure that such kerbside number is applied through a controlled and managed process to ensure consistency and adherence to appropriate standards, legislative and regulatory requirements. Council does not manage, fund or promote the service but does support the painting of house numbers on adjacent concrete kerbs by those residents or businesses seeking to add this additional communication of their property number.