When will Council take action?

We will investigate and take action on stormwater drainage complaints only when it relates to the flow of surface water from one property across the common land boundary onto another property.

The following criteria must also apply:

  • the water has caused or is likely to cause significant soil erosion or damage to a building
  • surface water has been directed to a particular area by a man-made structure or drain
  • surface water is the result of defective roof drainage from a dwelling or outbuilding.

When will Council not take action?

We will not take action when:

  • the surface water is natural run-off from the property (or the properties above) and isn't redirected in any way
  • the water is flowing down existing hard surface areas, such as driveways, tennis courts, concrete slabs or paved areas
  • the location of a dwelling or outbuilding impacts surface run-off
  • run-off occurs due to exceptionally heavy rain
  • the surface water is a result of overflows from stormwater absorption pits where contours of land and lack of access prevent roof water from connecting to the drainage system
  • the run-off is from new development work that has been constructed in accordance with the consent
  • the drainage problem involves discharges from defective or blocked private inter-allotment drainage easements. These easements are the responsibility of the property owners involved.

How do I approach Council?

Please provide the following information to us in writing:

  • A description of what is occurring
  • When did it occur and how often?
  • Have you reported the issue to Council before?
  • Where is the source of water?
  • Describe how your land or building is being damaged or is likely to be damaged. (You should include a written report from a suitably qualified person).
  • Have you obtained professional advice as to the source of the stormwater issue?
  • Have you discussed the matter with your neighbour?
  • Photos or a video of the problem as it is occurring, including the date and time.
  • Have you sought advice or initiated mediation with your neighbour through the Community Justice Centre?

Your submission can be sent by post, email or online.

For further information regarding stormwater runoff and drainage problems from private dwellings, please contact the Environment, Health and Building Unit.