Planning regulations

Fences may not need planning approval (known as Exempt Development) if they meet the relevant development standards set out in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

You can find more information on Exempt Development and NSW Planning Portal.

Council as adjoining landowner

Council does not contribute to the cost of dividing fences. Council is exempt from contribution to dividing fences under Section 25 of Dividing Fences Act 1991 No 72.

Council does not have a minimum standard for fences adjoining Council land.

Contact details for neighbouring property

Find information of who owns the property adjoining for reasons such as dividing fences by submitting Adjoining owners details application.

Dividing fence disputes

Council does not deal with disputes between neighbours. If you require help with a fence dispute, contact Community Justice Centres.