Sutherland Shire Council operates various programs and events to promote road safety.
Road Safety programs
We offer free online workshops for the parents and supervisors of learner drivers.
We provide free fitting and safety checks of baby capsules, boosters and child restraints in cars.
Council’s ‘Slow Down, Kids Around’ driver awareness campaign operates throughout the summer holiday period.
We erect colourful signage in busy areas to remind pedestrians with children and drivers to take extra care.
Council supports this one-day, in-school road safety program for students in year 11.
Focusing on individual responsibility, the program features presentations by police, paramedics, the NRMA, LTrent Driving School, Youthsafe and 2Connect Youth & Community.
Placed at various locations in Sutherland Shire, these displays remind drivers to stay under the speed limit. Readings are not used to issue infringement notices.
Road Safety events
- A free annual family event featuring a five-kilometre ride from Shorebird Reserve to Don Lucas Reserve at Wanda Beach
- Free bike safety checks
- Young riders collect progress stamps along the way
- The easy, supervised ride along off-road paths ends with fun events such a face painting, an inflatable obstacle course, games and giveaways, and a free hot dog
- Register at the event or print, complete and bring along the registration form
- In case of wet weather, please check our Facebook page.
- Free annual motorcycle safety expo at Heathcote Oval featuring displays, stalls, music, stunt shows, skills demos, prize draws and free breakfasts for riders.