Council officers investigate reports of abandoned vehicles in public places. Vehicles on private property are managed by the land owner and occupier of the premises.

Report an abandoned vehicle

Check if the vehicle is registered on Service NSW.

  • if the vehicle is unregistered, Report it to Council
  • if the vehicle such as a trailer or caravan is registered, but is being stored outside parks, ovals or other public places, or is a vehicle that is undriveable (damaged) report it to us. We will investigate, take action if required and notify you of the outcome. Fines may be issued to someone who leaves a vehicle unattended in a public place longer than 28 days.
  • Other vehicles that are registered may not be parked longer than 28 days in a public place,

It is not the intention of Council to take action against registered cars that are reasonably parked on the road.  The focus of Council will be on unsafe vehicles, unregistered vehicles or registered vehicles unable to be driven because of their physical condition; to get them removed from the public places or vehicles that are being stored on the road in public places like outside parks or ovals.

Report an abandoned vehicle

Unregistered vehicles

It is illegal to leave an unregistered vehicle on a road or road-related area. This includes areas used by the public, such as a footpath or nature strip. Council can issue fines to unregistered vehicles in public places. Report unregistered vehicles to Council.

Abandoned shopping trolleys

  • Responsibility for shopping trolleys

Abandoned trolleys can be hazardous and can obstruct roads or footpaths or end up in waterways.

If you use a shopping trolley, it is your responsibility to ensure the trolley remains in the shopping centre precinct. On the spot fines apply for failing to do so.

  • Report an abandoned shopping trolley

Abandoned shopping trolleys not only spoil the beauty of our streets but also pose a safety risk to pedestrians and drivers. They can obstruct sidewalks, roadways and even find their way into waterways, causing potential accidents and environmental harm.

Council does not remove unattended trolleys in and around shopping centres, streets and parks.

If you wish to report an abandoned trolley from Woolworths, Big W and Dan Murphy's you can call 1800 641 497 or visit Trolley Tracker and download the new Android and iOS Apps.

For abandoned Aldi shopping trolleys, you can conveniently report them on Aldi's website. Coles also has a dedicated website and app specifically designed for reporting abandoned trolleys.