Tree work is inherently dangerous. Residents, unqualified loppers and arborists are injured, or killed undertaking this work every year across Australia. The following recommendations are provided to assist you in selecting a Contract Arborist:
- Beware of door knockers offering to cut trees cheaply for cash – they are often intimidating, uninsured and use poor work practices.
- Poor cutting outside the Australian Standard Pruning Amenity Trees (AS4373-2007) can compromise a tree's health and structure, making trees unsafe.
- Only engage an Arborist with minimum qualification Australian Qualification Framework Level 3 (Certificate) in Arboriculture.
- Ensure the Contract Arborist is fully insured, and that the insurance is for tree work. Gardening insurance has a height limit on works.
- Most home insurance does not cover tree work. You may be liable for any injury or damage caused by (or to) uninsured persons.
- Ask to see proof of qualifications, current insurance including public liability, workers compensation.
- Ask for a detailed written quote with full business details, including ABN.