Animal Microchipping and Registration

Avoid fines and ensure your cat or dog is microchipped and lifetime registered.  As well as being a legal requirement, it gives your dog/cat a much better chance of being recovered if lost, hurt or stolen.  

Register your dog or cat online


A microchip is a tiny rice grain-sized pellet ‘chip’ which is injected under the skin of your pet.  Owner and animal details are linked to the microchip.  Microchip scanning devices are held by vets, council and some animal shelters. 

Microchip details are recorded in the NSW Pet Registry.

Microchipping must take place by 12 weeks of age or at point of sale/change of owner (whichever comes first).

You can get it done at any of the following places:

  • Council’s Animal Shelter - drop in during opening hours and have your pet microchipped for $66.
  • Vets, animal welfare organisations also perform microchipping.

Permanent Identification 

After microchipping, you will be issued with a 'pink' copy of the Permanent Identification form.  Whoever microchipped your pet will enter details onto the NSW Pet Registry.

Creating a Profile

Once the vet enters the microchip details on the NSW Pet Registry the owner can immediately go online, create a profile and claim their pet. 

Once this has been done the NSW Pet Registry enables the pet owner to:

  • create an owner profile
  • update their contact details
  • transfer ownership of pets
  • report their pet missing and found
  • pay most lifetime registration fees online. 

More information on the NSW Pet Registry;


Dogs and cats must be lifetime registered with council on or before 6 months of age.  They must be microchipped first. Registration can be paid online at NSW Pet Registry or can be paid to Council.


Online registration is a convenient way to register your pet.  To use online registration you must be able to pay fees by credit card.

Register your dog or cat online

Alternative ways to pay your dog and cat lifetime animal registration: 

  •  Online via NSW Pet Registry website
  • At any Service NSW - Find a Service NSW location
  • Council Customer Service Counter Monday to Friday (8.30am to 4.30pm)
  • At any council in NSW
  • By post to Sutherland Shire Council, Locked Bag 17, Sutherland NSW 1499 (cheques or money orders to be made to Sutherland Shire Council)

Required documentation

  • Certificate of Identification or a copy of the Permanent Identification form or Unregistered Animal Notification Letter.   
  • Lifetime registration fee (see table below).
  • Proof of desexing (if applicable).
  • Proof of pensioner concession (if applicable).
  • Proof of breeder (if applicable).

Registration fees

Registration fees are used by council to provide animal management related services to the community.  

Category Fees
 Dog - Not desexed or desexed after 6 months of age  $216
 Dog - Not desexed - Recognised breeder  $60
 Dog - Not desexed - Not recommended  $60
 Dog - Desexed by 6 months of age  $60
 Dog - Desexed by 6 months of age - Eligible pensioner  $26
 Dog - Desexed - Sold by pound/shelter  $30
 Dog - Working dog (Submit request and proof to council for review)  Nil
 Dog - Service of the State (Police dog or Correctional Services dog)  Nil
 Dog - Annual Permit - Declared dangerous dog and restricted breed dog  $195
 Cat - Not desexed including Annual Permit  $130
 Cat - Not desexed - Recognised breeder  $50
 Cat - Not desexed - Not recommended  $50
 Cat - Desexed or not desexed  $50
 Cat - Desexed or not desexed - Eligible pensioner  $26
 Cat - Desexed - Sold by pound/shelter  $25
 Cat - Annual Permit - Not desexed by 4 months of age  $80
 Assistance Animal - (Submit request and proof to council for review)  Nil

Once details and payment are verified we will update the NSW Pet Registry. You can view and print your Certificate of Registration online NSW Pet Registry.

Owning multiple dogs

There are no legal restrictions on the number of dogs that are allowed to be kept on private property, however, keeping multiple dogs on a property may have a negative impact on your neighbours.

Council may act on complaints about noise or environmental health issues related to keeping multiple dogs on private property.


Address: ,

More information


Animal Registrations (Online)



Animal Registration (online)

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above