We hold a large amount of information about Sutherland Shire.

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, or GIPA Act, defines how this information can be made available to you as a member of the public.

There are several ways for you to access the information by us:

Search our website

Wherever possible, we’ll make useful information available through our website. We have a great search feature! Give that a go first to find news, policies, registers or information about a topic.

If you’re looking for information that relates to a Development Application, you may find what you’re looking for on Council’s DA Tracker website.

Access to information request

We’ll seek to answer all requests informally. When this isn’t possible, we'll ask you to make a formal application. To make a formal application for information, applicants will need to pay a processing fee. Strict time frames and certain communication requirements must also be met under the guiding legislation.

Submit an Access to Information request (GIPA)

Accessing personal information

You have the right to access your personal information held by us, by filling out this form - PDF - 49 KB.

There are processing fees that apply under the GIPA Act if the request takes more than 20 hours to process.

We provide access to information as required by the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. The Copyright Act 1968 may also apply to accessing certain pieces of information. In some situations where we are not the copyright owner of the information, we must obtain the document owner’s permission to release copies of documents to members of the public. If you do not have copyright owner’s consent, you will be provided ‘view only’ access to the information. For example, building plans and development reports. We will organise an appointment to view the information at Council  as part of your information request.

If you require owner details to notify of a dividing fence, tree or Complying Development Neighbour Notification you must complete an Application for Adjoining Owners Details. Council does not release individual ownership details unless it has legal permission to do so. You can apply for individual property ownership information from NSW Land Registry Services.

We are committed to providing an open and transparent environment to enable members of the public to access government information held by us. The following information is defined as Open Access Information:

  • Council policies and management plans
  • disclosure log of access applications
  • register of government contracts
  • annual, financial and auditor reports, management plans and various codes
  • Business Papers and Minutes of meetings
  • land, investments, delegations, graffiti removal, declarations of disclosure of political donations
  • gifts and benefits register
  • disclosures of interest such as Councillors Political Donations Register  
  • proactively released documents.

Visit the NSW IPC website or email an enquiry toipcinfo@ipc.nsw.gov.au.