Council manage and operate a large fleet of vehicles, including our waste trucks, street sweepers, passenger vehicles, light and electric vehicles, heavy fleet, plant and machinery.

Incidents involving Council vehicles

Before we consider paying any compensation for injury or damage resulting from an alleged incident involving a Council vehicle, it must be established that Council is responsible for any loss or damage.

Before making a claim, we recommend that you first contact your own insurer for a motor vehicle or property claim.

Making a claim

If you wish to make a claim against us, please complete and submit a Claim for Compensation form including documented evidence or proof to support your claim. This may include photos of the alleged incident/accident.

After you have submitted a claim

All claims are managed by our external insurance managers on our behalf. You will be contacted in writing to acknowledge your claim by either us directly or our representative. Once the claim has been investigated and a decision has been made, you will be advised of the outcome in writing.

The process of investigation and determination can take time. Obtaining information from third parties, contractors or witnesses can be time consuming and claims resulting from negligence are often complicated. We ask for your patience and co-operation during this time.

Please note: Completion and acceptance of your ‘Claim for Compensation’ form does not represent an admission of liability or a waiver of our rights.