Chuo City and Sutherland Shire have had a sister city relationship since July 1991, which has influenced the cultural enrichment and exchange between both cities.
Chuo City Garden in Sutherland is named after the sister city, which opened in 1993.
Student Exchange Program
As part of the sister city relationship, Council supports a student exchange program between Chuo City, Tokyo and Sutherland Shire. The exchange program is open to high school students and is facilitated by the community based Sutherland-Chuo Committee.
The mutual exchange program sees students from Sutherland Shire and Chou City travel to their Sister City and experience a home stay, attending a local school and visiting key cultural and tourism locations.
The program was paused in 2020 – 2022 due to COVID impacts. The Committee is currently planning for the 2023 program. Keep an eye out for further updates on this page.
Students visiting Sutherland Shire
24 Japanese junior high school students from Chuo visit Sutherland Shire for a 10-night residence. This includes:
- a home-stay with a family in Sutherland Shire
- attending a local high school, and
- experiencing life in Australia.
Students visiting Japan
Sutherland Shire students visit Chuo, Tokyo, during the September/October school holidays for 16 - 18 days. This includes:
- a home-stay with a family in Chuo
- attending a local high school for 3 days
- a visit to Tokyo Disneyland
- a tour of Tokyo
- a visit to a local rural area
- volunteering in community projects, and
- experiencing Japanese cultural activities.