Once your application is determined you’ll need to review how its conditions of consent impact for example, your design, erosion control, utilities, tree protection and waste management.

You’ll also need to appoint a principal certifier plus apply for a construction certificate before any building starts.

An occupation certificate is needed if you want to use a new building or change the use of an existing building.

Subdivisions also need separate certification.

If anything about your development changes after it is determined, you will need to apply to modify the consent.

You can also ask for a review of a council decision about a development application or modification or lodge an appeal in the Land and Environment Court of NSW.

You can ask for a review of a decision made by council about your development application or modification.

Applications need to be lodged via your NSW planning portal account within:

  • 8 weeks of the determination of a development application
  • 14 days of a rejection of a DA
  • 28 days of a modification decision.

Fees apply.

Appeals can be made in the Land and Environment Court of NSW.

Want to change your project after it is determined?

You’ll need to apply to modify the consent, noting that you might need to lodge a new DA if what you now propose is substantially different from your approved application.

If you have not started any works and decide not to go ahead with your project after it is determined, you can apply to surrender your development consent under part 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, specifically:

Surrendering consent is permanent meaning a new application needs to be lodged for any future development to go ahead.

You will need to apply for a modification of consent – see above – if any work has already been done on the site.

Complete this form to surrender development consent.

Fees apply.

You must appoint a principal certifier before you start any work on the site.

Certifiers do mandatory building inspections during construction and issue the occupation certificate when all requirements are met.

We, council, can act as your certifier or you can use a registered building surveyor.

Find out more about what kind of certifier you need for your development.

Use this form to request an inspection if you have appointed council as your principal certifier.

You need a construction certificate before you start any work at the site.

This certificate confirms that your plans and specifications are consistent with your development consent, and complies with our requirements and the Building Code of Australia.

Your application for a construction certificate is made via the NSW planning portal and needs to include detailed building plans, engineering details and specifications.

You’ll need an occupation certificate before you can occupy or use a new building or building section.

An interim occupation certificate can be issued to staged works, allowing you to occupy the completed part of the building.

Applications are made via the NSW planning portal.

If your development involves a subdivision, a subdivision certificate is needed to:

  • confirm the subdivision plan is completed in accordance with the relevant development consent
  • authorise the registration of the subdivision plan with NSW Land and Property Information.

Apply via the NSW planning portal.

If your development includes the removal of a tree or trees, you need to replace them at a higher ratio .

You can comply by replanting on your site or paying council to plant replacement trees on public land by entering into a deed of agreement.

Refunds for a bond or bank guarantee to cover damage to any council assets or the environment resulting from your development work are available once an occupation certificate is issued.

Complete the relevant form for a:

Local infrastructure contributions, also known as developer contributions, are charged by councils when new development occurs.

They help fund infrastructure such as parks, community facilities, local roads, footpaths, stormwater drainage and traffic management.

See our guide to development contribution plans.