What to do if you have a noise problem

Noise can affect people in different ways. What is acceptable to one person may be offensive to another.

You should first try to solve the problem amicably by talking to whoever is causing the noise.

If the problem persists, you can contact a Community Justice Centre to arrange mediation. These government-funded centres specialise in settling disputes between neighbours without entering into legal proceedings.

You can also seek a noise abatement order through your local court.

What we will investigate

  • Neighbourhood noise - animals, power tools, loud music, air conditioners, pool pumps etc
  • Small factories and backyard workshops
  • Commercial premises - ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration
  • Noisy motor vehicles on private property
  • Road construction on Council roads (For State-managed roads, contact Roads and Maritime Services on 131 782)
  • Building construction
  • Concert noise
  • Security and car alarms.

Report a noise issue to us

Factors we consider

  • The nature and volume of the noise
  • The time of day
  • Whether the noise is harmful, or unreasonably uncomfortable, to anyone (outside the premises from which it is emitted)
  • Any other relevant circumstances.

Action we can take

Regardless of the time of day, if we agree the noise is offensive, we can issue a Prevention Notice or a Noise Control Notice.

The following time restrictions apply only if the noise can be heard from a room in any other residential premises (that is not a garage, storage area, bathroom, laundry, toilet or pantry).

Power tools and swimming or spa pool pumps:

  • Saturday, Sunday or public holiday - before 8:00am or after 8:00pm
  • Any other day - before 7:00am or after 8:00pm.

Musical instruments and amplified sound equipment:

  • Friday, Saturday or the day preceding a public holiday - before 8:00am and after midnight
  • Any other day - before 8:00am and after 10:00pm.

Note: Excessive noise from parties should be referred to NSW Police.

Air conditioners and heat pump water heaters:

  • Saturday, Sunday or public holiday - before 8:00am or after 10:00pm
  • Any other day - before 7:00am or after 10:00pm.