Skin Penetration Premises
All skin penetration businesses (excluding registered acupuncturists) must be registered with us - PDF - 118 KB prior to commencing operation.
NSW Health has important health considerations on their website for further information.
- Body piercing (including ear piercing)
- Beauty therapy (including waxing, cutting of cuticles and skin wicks, removal of dead skin and black head extraction)
- Acupuncture (excluding registered Health Practitioners)
- Manicure and pedicure (including acrylic and gel nails)
- Cosmetic enhancements
- Colonic lavage
- Blood cholesterol and glucose measurement
- Any other procedures involving penetrating of the skin
Council inspects all businesses to ensure they are complying with the above regulations.
A fee is charged for this service.
Skin penetration premises require development approval.
Before commencing any works, and for information regarding the fit-out, you should contact Council on 9710 0333 and discuss your proposal with a duty planner.
Operating a skin penetration business from home requires development consent. Your business must meet the definition of ‘home occupation’ or 'home business' under Sutherland Shire Local Environmental Plan 2015.
For further information regarding the approval process, contact Council on 9710 0333 and discuss your proposal with a duty planner.