Councillor Kent Johns was first elected to Sutherland Shire Council in 2004 and served twice as Mayor from 2012-2013 and 2014-2015.
In 2016, Cr Johns was a recipient of the Local Government NSW Outstanding Service Award to acknowledge 20 years’ service as a Councillor in Local Government. He is an Emeritus Mayor, a title awarded by Local Government NSW (LGNSW), the peak industry association that represents the interests of all NSW Councils.
Cr Johns is a former Vice President for the NSW Liberal Party. He has also served as Acting President of the Liberal Party (NSW Divisions).
He was re-elected to Council in 2021 and now has over 25 years’ experience in local government.
Clr Johns is an industrial chemist by profession and has held senior management and Director roles in the water infrastructure and chemical industries for over 30 years.
Currently a member of the following Standing Committees:
- Planning and Growth Committee
- Infrastructure and Operations Committee (Chairperson)
- Shire Services Committee
- Corporate Governance Committee
Currently a member of the following Sub-Committees:
- Community Grants & Subsidies Committee (Chairperson)
- Hazelhurst Arts Centre Board
- Sutherland Consultative Traffic Forum (Deputy Chairperson)
- Sutherland Traffic & Traffic Safety Committee (Deputy Chairperson)
Currently a member of the following External Committees:
- Southern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (Alternate Member)
- Sydney South Planning Panel