Accessing Council Information GIPA

Many of council's documents must be disclosed (unless it is not the public interest to do so). Try searching this site, or using our policy and document search. Development applications can be found on the DA Tracker web site.

If you do not find the information you are seeking you have the option to apply for access to that information with us (this application is known as an Informal Request for Information as stipulated in the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA) .

If we can provide the information to you informally we will do so and let you know.  In most cases, you will be required to attend council to view the information you are seeking.  If you require copies, fees apply.  However if documents are subject to copyright. you may not be given a copy but you can still view the document.  If you feel you need a copy, we can generally provide you with information about the copyright owner and you can request permission directly.  

Documents that typically are subject to copyright can include engineering reports, plans, environmental studies and surveys.   

Make an informal request for access to information

Formal release of information requests

Some applications by their nature are considered formal requests for information.  These typically include:

  • information that relates to a third party who must be consulted
  • information that is subject to legal professional privilege
  • information that relates to a third party business that must be consulted
  • information that relates to an investigation carried out by council
  • large volumes of information that involves extensive search
  • information which could not be provided informally
  • you have previously been refused information
  • the material is sensitive in nature and requires careful balancing of public interest considerations

The lodgement of a formal access to information application gives you a right to a review of the decision made by council.

Application and processing fees apply for formal requests.

Make a formal request for access to information 

Note: if your application is seeking personal information, proof of identity is required at the time of applying.

     Formal access fees

Charges are set by the GIPA Act:

Application type Application fees Processing fees Photocopy fees

Yes (see below)
Formal Access $30 0-1hr no charge
1hr+ $30/hr

Copy fees don't apply but applicants are charged for the time taken to make copies @$30 per hour.

Internal review on GIPA decisions $40 No charge No charge

Photocopy fees

Photocopy fees are set by council's Schedule of Fees and Charges and are as follows:

Page size Cost/sheet
A2, A1, A0 $24
A2, A1, A0 reduction to A3 $12
A4 (black & white) $0.65c
A4 (colour) $2.30
A3 (black & white) $1.15
A3 (colour) $4.40

Electronic information fees

Provision of electronic information on Flash Drive or CD-Rom - $11.50

Scanning of Information / Compilation of Electronic Materials -  $42.00


Address: ,

More information

Policies and documents

Access to Information Policy Privacy Management Plan


Application to Access Information GIPA - Informal Request Application to Access Information (GIPA) - Formal Requests



Access council information (Informal request) Access council Information (formal request)

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above

Have more to say? Complete our Community survey on the transformation of our website. We are focused on creating a website that provides an intuitive, easy-to-use, and efficient customer experience for our community and we need your feedback to ensure we have captured everything you’d like to see and do on our refreshed website. With the click of a button, you can help us build a better website for our community, provide your feedback now - 2021