Councillor Carol Provan is a long-standing Sutherland Shire Councillor and has lived locally for nearly 50 years.
Cr Provan first served as a Councillor from 1983-1991, including as Mayor in 1987-1988, and was re-elected to Council in 2008 before serving again as Mayor from 2011-2012.
With a keen focus on advocating for building a supportive community for all residents no matter their age, as well as enhancing local prosperity particularly for small businesses and to improve adequate services to address the increasing local population and evolving interest in the Cronulla precinct.
Cr Provan has chaired or stood as a member of most Council committees and her contributions to local government were recognised in 2020 with an Outstanding Service Award by the Local Government Association of NSW, the peak representative body for councils across the state.
Cr Provan runs her own company and is a registered marriage and funeral celebrant.
Currently a member of the following Standing Committees:
- Shire Strategic Planning Committee (Deputy Chairperson)
- Shire Infrastructure Committee
- Shire Services Committee
- Corporate Governance
Currently a member of the following Sub-Committees:
- Access & Inclusion Committee (Chairperson)
- Arts & Culture Committee (Deputy Chairperson)
- Australia Day & Events Committee (Deputy Chairperson)
- Environment & Sustainability Committee
- Hazelhurst Arts Centre Board
- Heritage & Shire History Committee (Chairperson)
- Port Hacking Management Committee (Chairperson)
Currently a member of the following External Committees:
- Southern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (Alternate Member)
- Sutherland Shire Crime Prevention Community Safety Precinct Committee
- Sydney Airport Community Forum
- Sydney South Planning Panel