There are various planning approval pathways in NSW. The size and scale of the development determine which pathway applies.

Does my development need Council consent?

The first step is to identify the zoning of your land and refer to the land use table in the Sutherland Shire Local Environment Plan 2015 (SSLEP2015).

The associated NSW Planning Portal Spatial Viewer and Council's Shire Maps tool will assist you in this process.

The three most common are Exempt Developments, Complying Developments, and Development Applications.

  • Exempt Development does not require consent.
  • Complying Development that meets certain requirements can be approved by a private accredited certifier.
  • Development Application (DA) is required for all developments that don't qualify as Exempt or Complying.