An important message for our customers
Whether you are looking to build a granny flat or a block of flats or add a pool or pergola to your family home, we know people want to see their Development Application (DA) processed in a timely and efficient way.
That’s why Sutherland Shire Council has made some significant changes to the way we assess DAs that will result in faster determinations for those looking to build within our local government area.
From 1 January 2023, all DAs lodged with Sutherland Shire Council are assessed under a new streamlined processes based on best practice guidelines developed by the NSW Department of Planning and Environment. This change has already resulted in service delivery improvements and faster determination timeframes, bringing Sutherland Shire Council in line with other councils who have implemented similar best practice processes.
What does this mean?
We are committed to allocating your application quickly. An officer will contact you once the application is allocated.
Here are a few tips to help us process your DA faster
- If we request further information or design changes, you will be given 14 days to respond (no extension will be given to this time frame).
- If there are identified issues with your DA and you are unsure about what is being asked of you, your assessing officer is there to help.
- You will have one opportunity to submit revised plans or the outstanding information. Once your response is received, your application will proceed to determination. Multiple amendments or revisions to your application will no longer be accepted.
- You can check updates at certain points in the process through our online DA Tracker and the Planning Portal.
- Council staff will conduct all follow-up communications with the nominated DA applicant, ensuring a more efficient resolution of any issues relating to your DA.
This component is hidden - for re-use each year from end November onwards. To unhide - click the Component settings 'cog' > Advanced settings > Custom class > remove the word 'hidden' and save. Delete this message and check the dates before publishing.
Neighbour notification for development applications over Christmas period
The neighbour notification period between Christmas and New Year is now legislated. The legislation reads "The period between 20 December and 10 January (inclusive) is excluded from the calculation of a period of public exhibition."
Council’s neighbour notification period is currently 16 days. Applications notified on or after 5 December 2022 until 10 January 2023 (inclusive) will be subject to this extended notification period.
Note: Before an application can be notified it is checked for completeness and must be invoiced and payment received. The time frame for this is variable.