If you are planning complying development on bushfire prone land, you will need a  Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Risk Assessment Certificate.

The NSW government allows complying development on low risk bushfire prone land, which Council is authorised to identify by issuing a BAL certificate.

When to apply for a BAL certificate

Apply for a BAL certificate before designing your proposal or seeking complying development, so that you and your designer consider bushfire requirements.

If Council's assessment determines that the bushfire attack level is BAL-40 or BAL-FZ, you will need to lodge a development application rather than a complying development certificate.

The NSW Rural Fire Service website has information about complying development on bushfire prone land.

When your application is received we will email an invoice.  The certificate will not be released until payment has been made.

Once we have assessed your application you will be emailed the certificate.

Certificate fees and charges

1. Applicant details

Required fields are denoted by *

(person who may be contacted to discuss the application during business hours)

2. Ownership details

Required fields are denoted by *

3. Identify the land you propose to develop

You can find the land parcel details on your rates notice from Council  or on the title document of the land.

Identify if your are on Bushfire Prone Land

My property is on Bush Fire Prone Land

4. Describe what you propose to do

5. Bushfire Development Standards

NOTE: If your proposal  does not satisfy all the development standards for your land zoning, you may need to reconsider your application for complying development or contact a qualified bushfire  consultant for more information.

Council will not be able to undertake a BAL Risk Assessment unless all required information has been submitted.

6. Required information

A site plan is required with the following information:

  • Reference number and dated
  • Drawn to scale
  • Existing buildings on site and their uses
  • Distance from vegetation
  • Slope of hazard

7. BAL and Risk Assessment

Section  1 of the Rural Fire Service - Single Dwelling Application Kit explains how to fill in this form.

Step 1: Assess the vegetation about the proposed building in all directions.

North - converted vegetation *

East - converted vegetation *

South - converted vegetation *

West - converted vegetation *

Step 2: Determine the distance from the building line to the vegetation in each direction as above.

to be shown in metres

to be shown in metres

to be shown in metres

to be shown in metres

Step 3: Determine the effective slope that will influence bushfire behaviour in each direction.

Slope under the hazard (over 100m) [in degrees]

Slope under the hazard (over 100m) [in degrees]

Slope under the hazard (over 100m) [in degrees]

Slope under the hazard (over 100m) [in degrees]

Step 4: Determine the Fire Danger Index (FDI) that applies.

The FDI is based on the weather history for a region that will influence bushfire behaviour.

It is a relative number denoting an evaluation of rate of spread,  or suppression difficulty for specific combination of fuel, fuel moisture and wind speed.

This data is then indexed into comparative FDIs based on the regions within NSW.

The FDI for greater Sydney region, including Sutherland Shire, is 100.

Step 5: Match the relevant FDI, vegetation, distance and slope to determine the required APZ and Construction level.

Identify the bushfire attack level for each direction, select the highest level for the entire building and record below.  Note BAL-12.5 is the lowest construction level within the scope of AS3959.

NOTE: BAL-40 and BAL-FZ are considered higher risk development and do not constitute complying development.  You are advised to consult with a qualified bushfire consultant for more information.

8. Consent

  • declare that all the information in my application and accompanying documents is, to the best of my knowledge, true and correct.
  • understand that if incomplete, the consent authority may request more information, which will result in delays in the application.
  • have obtained the consent of the owner(s) of the land to submit the application.
  • agree to appropriately delegated assessment officers attending the site for the purpose of inspection.