Council officers investigate reports of abandoned vehicles in public places. Vehicles on private property are managed by the land owner and occupier of the premises.

Report an abandoned vehicle

Check if the vehicle is registered on Service NSW.

  • if the vehicle is unregistered, contact Police.
  • if the vehicle is registered, report it to us. We will investigate, take action if required and notify you of the outcome. Fines may be issued to someone who abandons a vehicle in a public place.

Report an abandoned vehicle

Unregistered vehicles

Unregistered vehicles are not necessarily abandoned.

It is illegal to leave an unregistered vehicle on a road or road-related area. This includes areas used by the public, such as a footpath or nature strip.

Claims of ownership

A vehicle is not considered abandoned if an owner contacts us to claim ownership during our investigation. We are unable to remove a vehicle if someone has claimed ownership, unless the vehicle poses a hazard to the community.

Abandoned shopping trolleys

  • Responsibility for shopping trolleys

Abandoned trolleys can be hazardous and can obstruct roads or footpaths or end up in waterways.

If you use a shopping trolley, it is your responsibility to ensure the trolley remains in the shopping centre precinct. On the spot fines apply for failing to do so.

  • Report an abandoned shopping trolley

Council does not remove unattended trolleys in and around Central Business Districts or shopping centre precincts. You are encouraged to contact the relevant retailer directly to report an abandoned shopping trolley.

If you wish to report an abandoned trolley from Woolworths, Big W, Coles, Dan Murphy's or any other major retailer you can call 1800 641 497 or visit Trolley Tracker.