We're planning the preparation of a Concept Design for Stage 2 of the Cronulla Town Centre Masterplan.
Cronulla Plaza, between Kingsway and Purley Place.
Project start: January 2019
Expected completion: December 2022
Reason for works
The Cronulla Town Centre is a unique and iconic location, strongly valued by both the local community and visitors to the area. It has significant historic, recreation and community value, and coupled with the surrounding beaches, forms a strong part of our area’s cultural identity.
In 2015 the Plaza and surrounds were identified as being in need of a significant upgrade and an initial design competition explored the qualities that contributed to the Town Centre’s distinctive character and aspirations for the future.
This was followed by the development of a Cronulla Public Domain Design Strategy, and after extensive research, collaboration with urban design experts and consultation with community, the Cronulla Town Centre Public Domain Master Plan was prepared and adopted by Council in 2018.
With the Master Plan in place, staged delivery of works commenced in 2018 with the upgrade and modernisation of Stage 1 - Ocean Grove. To download a copy of the Masterplan click here.
In 2020 Council has completed the Schematic Design Phase of Stage 2 of the project which was undertaken with the assistance of a Stakeholder Reference Group and input from local business owners. The design is based strongly on the endorsed Masterplan and consists of the main body of the Plaza between the Kingsway and Ocean Grove; the Kingsway footpath between Gerrale and Croydon Streets; and Croydon Lane. The Schematic Design was placed on Public Exhibition in September 2020 and a report submitted to Council in December. Based on public feedback and Council input some amendments were made to the scope including removal of the digital screen and water play feature and the inclusion of non- water based play.
Construction of the Kingsway commenced in late 2021 following authority approvals and is scheduled for completion in late June 2022.
The Town Square and Plaza are now in the detail design phase with construction of the Plaza scheduled for commencement in winter 2023.
Scope of works
The scope of this project is to produce a concept design for the Plaza. Elements within this project, include:
- Investigation, research and analysis of existing conditions - Complete
- Concept design for the Plaza from the Kingsway to Ocean Grove including seating, dining, lighting - Complete
- Concept design the laneways connecting to the Plaza - Complete
- Consultation through a Reference Group of concept design options - Complete
- Direct engagement with Plaza business owners - Complete
- Schematic design - Complete
- Public Exhibition - Complete
- Report to Council - Complete
- Detail Design for the Kingsway – Complete
- Construction Kingsway - underway
- Detail Design Cronulla Plaza – underway
- Investigative works Cronulla Plaza - pending
- Detail Design of the Town Square – underway
- Construction Cronulla Plaza – Winter 2023
Public impacts during construction
At this early stage, there may be investigative works for service location and geotechnical confirmation undertaken by specialist contractors. This work may include noise and dust. Affected business owners/operators will be directly advised.
This project is funded by Sutherland Shire Council from the Shopping Centres Upgrade Program.