With just a little bit of planning, it's easy to choose reusable options and reduce single use
plastics. “Single use
plastics” are disposable plastic items such as straws, balloons, bags, sachets, cutlery and food and drink packaging intended to be used once and then discarded.
The following tips will get you started with reducing your single use plastics:
- Bring your own reusable bags when you go shopping
- Take your cup to the coffee shop and refuse takeaway coffee cups
- Say no to plastic cutlery and straws
- Bring your own drink bottle and lunch box
- Choose products with less plastic packaging
- Use reusable wraps and containers in the kitchen to store food
- Use non plastic alternatives - e.g bamboo toothbrush
- Buy second hand.
Plastic Free July
Residents can also challenge themselves to try Plastic Free July and see how small changes can make a big difference. The campaign started as an office initiative in 2011 in Perth and now has millions of participants across more than 150 countries worldwide today.
By accepting the challenge you will be attempting to reduce your single-use plastic during July.
To sign up to challenge, see the Plastic Free July website.
Enquiries can be directed to Waste Services on 9710 0333 or email@example.com