Under the NSW Estuary Management Policy, local councils are responsible for preparing and implementing detailed management plans for estuaries in their jurisdiction. Council has developed the following estuary management plans to cover estuaries in the Shire.
What is council doing now?
Council is carrying out a staged implementation of the estuary management plans. Some of the projects completed or underway include:
Creek restoration works
Creek restoration works, including weed removal, bank stabilisation and revegetation, have been undertaken at several estuary locations, including the following areas:
- Kareena Creek from Karimbla Road and Binalong Avenue to President Avenue, Caringbah
- Wonga Road Reserve Creek, corner of Wonga Road and Attunga Road, Yowie Bay
- Ewey Creek upstream of President Avenue, Caringbah
- Kiora Road Reserve, Yowie Bay
- Box Road Reserve, Jannali
- Grafton Street Reserve, Sutherland
- Wolger Street Reserve, Como
- Paruna Reserve, Como
- Ninth Avenue (north), Loftus
- Reserve adjoining 121 Prince Edward Park Road, Woronora
- Oyster Creek between Box road foodbridge and Bates Drive Culvert, Kareela
- Kareela Golf Course Creek restoration, Kareela
- Sea Breeze Lane, Bundeena watercourse stabilisation
- Manchester Road trash rack, Gymea
- Fenton Avenue, bank stabilisation, Caringbah
- Buckel Reserve, Menai
- Marton Park Swaile, Kurnell
- Alkaringa Creek, Forrest Road, Gymea
Installation of stormwater quality improvement devices (SQIDs)
Council has installed more than 200 stormwater quality improvement devices throughout the Shire with more planned, including:
- Trash racks.
- Gross pollutant traps.
- Bandalong floating litter traps and floating litter ooms.
- Centrifugal deflection system (CDS) - ROCLA.
- Rapid filtration system (RFS) - ECOSOL.
- Vortex unit by StormWater360.
- StormFilter by StormWater360.
- Pollutant filter nets (NetTech).
- Silt traps.
- IPLEX GPT.
- Pollutant filter bags fitted to stormwater pits.
Report pollution in our waterways
Enquiries can be directed to Stormwater Management Engineer on 02 9710 0857 or