Provision of an on-road cycleway, and an off-road shared pathway adjacent to the AFL Oval and Cycling facilities.
Works start date:
Works end date:
Documents / Plans:
Rawson Ave STG 4 - SITE SIGN.pdf
Rawson Avenue, Sutherland - adjacent to Waratah Park Reserve, at the southern entrance to the precinct.
View on map
Reason for works
The works will improve safety and accessibility for the movement of motor vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists between Sutherland station, the town centre and the recreational, educational and employment facilities located along Rawson Avenue.
The need to upgrade this section of road stems from:
- The lack of appropriate footpath infrastructure between Sutherland Station and University Wollongong Campus.
- The deteriorating condition of the road shoulders and the absence of on-road and off-road cycling provisions.
- The increasing transport and recreational demands.
The current works form Stage 4, of a larger project to upgrade Old Princes Highway / Rawson Avenue, from President Avenue to Pitt Street.
Scope of works
Works are located between the entrance to University Wollongong Campus (TAFE roundabout) and Pitt Street which provides access to Loftus Railway Station. The project works include:
Rawson Ave - Western Side,
- Construction of kerb and gutter between roundabout and Pitt St
- On-road cycle facility delineated by line marking
- Bush regeneration works
- Construction of storm water drainage, kerb, & inlets pits
Rawson Ave - Eastern Side,
- Construction of kerb and gutter
- On road cycle facility delineated by line marking
- Construction of Off-road shared pathway
- Construction of small sandstone retaining walls
- Planting of feature trees
- Bush regeneration and landscape works.
Car Park Improvements,
- Improvements such as kerb and gutter asphalt works and line marking adjacent to the Dog Training Clubhouse will also be undertaken as part of Rawson Avenue Stage 4 works.
- Construction of speed reduction raised thresholds and delineation blisters on both approaches to existing roundabout
Road surfacing will be undertaken within the Limit of Works for this project.
Overall Masterplan development has occurred as follows:
- Initial concept plan for consultation - Sept 2014
- Feedback from direct stakeholders and user groups - July /August 2015
- Stage 1 - Park and Gray Streets upgrade - April 2016
- Detailed masterplan development - July 2016 - Completed
- Full community consultation on masterplan - August 2016 - Completed
- Stage 1 - Princes Highway - July 2017 - Completed
- Stage 2 - Rail Bridge to Aquatic Centre entrance - July 2018 – Completed
- Stage 3 - Leisure Centre to entry for Wollongong University Campus - February 2019 - Completed
- Stage 4 - Wollongong University Campus to Pitt Street - Febraury 2020 - In Progress
Public impacts during construction
We will be delivering materials & equipment to this worksite and there may be minor traffic delays as a result. The construction compound will be located within the car park area, adjacent to the Sutherland Dog Trining Clubhouse.
Please be aware that there is no on-street parking available in this section of Rawson Ave however, alternate parking is available within the vicinity.
There will be traffic control on site for the duration of this project and traffic flow may be restricted to contra flow operations under the direction of traffic controllers at times.
Some night work may be necessary however, the majority of construction will be conducted under normal operations, from Monday to Friday.
We thank you for your co operation and appreciate your patience and understanding whilst we complete these works.
This stage is jointly funded by Transport for NSW under their 2019-2020 Active Transport Program, and Sutherland Shire Council from the Roads Construction Program.