Now that Sydney Trains has replaced the old rail bridge deck with a wider one, Council is in the process of upgrading the Gannons Rd & Denman Ave intersection.
Reason for works
Sydney Trains replaced the existing old railway bridge deck above Gannons Road with a new wider deck in July 2019.
This allowed Council to commence the upgrade of the intersection of Gannons Road and Denman Avenue to improve road user safety.
The section of Gannons Road between Kingsway and Denman Avenue will be widened to three (3) approach lanes, in order to provide more capacity to local traffic.
Scope of works
- widening of the road corridor from Kingsway to Denman Ave to provide 3 lanes on east side
- removal of two trees (as approved by arborist), to incorporate the new pedestrian/cycle shared path
- relocation of multiple underground utilities
- realignment of kerb and guttering
- relocation of traffic signals
The delivery milestones for Council's road widening works are:
- Identification of all services and CCTV for Council storm water line - October 2018 - completed
- Approval of Design – May 2019 - completed
- Associated works for relocation of services, and clearing of corridor – January 2020 - in progress
- Road widening civil works - commence March 2020 - in progress
- Lane configuration changeover - April 2020
- Traffic Signal change commissioned - April 2020
Telstra has recommenced their works to relocate the underground cables. The scheduling for these works are dependant on the activity of other Telecommunications providers. We anticipation the completion be end of March 2020.
Telstra will advise residents of any anticipated outage to services.
Public impacts during construction
There will be construction noise and temporary traffic disruption. Access to Jenola Oval could be limited on certain occasions whilst we undertake these works. Utilities (water, electricity etc.) may be disrupted for short periods of time; you will be advised by the individual utility contractors if this is necessary.
Between 2 March 2020 nd 13 March 2020, there will be a delay on Gannons Road (north bound) due to stormwater excavations works. Occasional closure of the slow lane will be implemented between 7am and 5pm to provide a safe working environment.
Council will endeavour to minimise the impact of these adjustments, and appreciates your understanding whilst we undertake road re-alignment works.
The road work adjustments are jointly funded by NSW Roads and Maritime and Sutherland Shire Council.