Frontage and access works within Cronulla Park to compliment the building refurbishment being undertaken by the Surf Club
Reason for works
The objectives of the works are to:
- Improve the interface between the Surf Club building and the public open space in Cronulla Park
- Improve the sense of arrival to the park and the club
- Meet the current Australian Standards
- Protect the historical and environmental significance of the site.
Scope of works
The work for this project includes the construction of:
- A viewing platform with seating, lighted handrails and public artwork
- New pathways to the entry of the renovated Club building and past the RSL Club building
- New staircase giving access to the park utilising sandstone masonry and soft landscaping
- Reconstructed access road down to The Esplanade for club and service vehicles
- Under-grounding the power supply and new precinct lighting
- Retaining walls
- Refurbish the adjoining public amenities building
- Bespoke park fencing
The delivery milestones are:
- Site Establishment – August 2019 commenced
- Practical Completion Park works - May 2020
Public impacts during construction
The site area will be closed for public use during the construction period. A pedestrian detour will be established for prams and wheelchairs.
There may be an increase in dust and noise from time to time, as we upgrade these facilities.
While the service road is being constructed, service vehicles will need to enter from Ozone Street and cross the park under a Traffic Management Plan. Please observe all directions from Traffic Controllers whilst moving within park & around the construction site.
The public amenities will be temporarily closed from Monday 4th November until the end of May 2020. A map of alternative toilet facilities is attached below. Within Cronulla Park there will be two locations:
- a single Disabled cubicle in front of the Surf Club, open 6am to 11pm
- Female and Male toilets near the Gerrale Street carpark, open 6am to 11pm
- Female and Male toilets near the outdoor showers, open 6am to 11pm
- Female and Male showers & change rooms at the Lifesavers Station, between 7am & 5pm
We appreciate your understanding whilst we work in partnership with the Club to improve these facilities.
This project is jointly funded by Sutherland Shire Council from Section 94 Contributions, with additional contributions from the RSL Club and the NSW Government.
Location of temporary amenities during construction works between November 2019 and May 2020.