Bed and breakfast

Do I need approval?

You need approval for bed and breakfast accommodation. You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application.

Can I apply for a Complying Development Certificate

 A Complying Development Certificate may be issued for bed and breakfast accommodation in the R2, R3, R4, B1, B2, B3, B4, SP3, E3 and E4 zones if the proposal meets the relevant development standards. Use Council's Shire Maps to identify the zoning of your land.

The complying development standards for bed and breakfast accommodation are in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2007.

Find out more about applying for a complying development certificate 

If the proposal doesn't qualify as complying development, you will need to lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application. What do I do?

Council may grant development consent for bed and breakfast accommodation in the  R2, R3, R4, B1, B2, B3, B4, SP3, E3 and E4 zones if the proposal meets the relevant planning controls.

You can view the planning controls for bed and breakfasts in Sutherland Shire Local Environmental Plan 2015 and Sutherland Shire Development Control Plan 2015.

The NSW Department of Planning and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.


Address: ,

More information



Planning Certificate (2) Only Planning Certificate (2) and (5) Complying Development Certificate Development Application

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above