Sutherland Shire Council, 4 Eton Street
Dementia Australia are providing a family information and support session using virtual reality goggles (Educational Dementia Immersive Experience) to give families and carers the chance to walk in the shoes of a person with dementia and provide insight into the day to day lived experience of a person with dementia.
This experience is used as part of a facilitated group support session with family carers, to enhance their knowledge of dementia and improve empathy and communication with the person living with dementia.
Educational Dementia Immersive Experience (EDIE) can assist carers to:
- develop an increased understanding of dementiaacross various stages
- have increased empathy for the person in theirfamily living with dementia
- improve communication with the person livingwith dementia
- experience the benefits of dementia-friendlychanges to the home environment
- understand how changes in communication,behaviour and environment can benefit the person living with dementia and their loved ones
By using virtual reality goggles this experience allows users to explore a moment in time for Edie, who has a diagnosis of dementia. You will face the difficulties experienced by Edie as he undertakes simple activities of daily living.
Suitable for: Carers and family members who want to gain a greater understanding of what it is like for a person who is living with dementia.
Bookings essential. Limited places available.
To book contact Sandra Kay EDIE for Carers Project Officer: NSWEDIEforcarers@dementia.org.au or call 0429 567 481
Enquiries can be directed to Sandra Kay on 0429 567 481 or NSWEDIEforcarers@dementia.org.au