Information related to this document can be found at:
Closing date: 26 October 2020
Council is pleased to announce the opening of the annual Sutherland Shire Heritage Building Grants program. This program assists in the promotion and protection of Sutherland Shire's Heritage. As an owner of a heritage listed property you are eligible for a dollar for dollar grant funding for specified conservation work on your property. Council has allocated funds to the grant program for 2020-2021.
Council Heritage Sub-Committee administers the fund and is now calling for applications for 2020-2021. Only items listed in Schedule 5 of the Sutherland Shire Local Environmental Plan 2015 are eligible for grants. Generally the works should be limited to conservation projects which retain original fabric or involve extraordinary maintenance that requires specialised workmanship.
The following projects are examples of the types of works approved in previous years:
- Interpretative signage for public education and heritage promotion.
- Verandah restoration including renewal of sub-floor timbers, flooring, sealing and repainting.
- Repair of sandstone.
- Re-pointing of the sandstone or brick.
- Restoration work to ashlar sandstone walling, mortar jointing and doorway lintels.
- Removal of unsympathetic aluminium windows and reinstatement of appropriate timber windows to residences.
- Reinstatement of front fence to original specifications.
- Restoration of stained glass windows.
- Reconstruction of brick chimney.
- Reinstatement of terracotta ventilators.
- Restoration of brick piers of weatherboard cottages.
- Restoration of roofing to original style and materials.
Making an Application - Terms and Conditions
Requests for grant funding should be made in writing. The submission should include a completed application form with a detailed outline of the works proposed, including sketches and plans if warranted, together with photographs of the item and area of works to be undertaken. Two (2) quotes are required by the closing date. A site visit will be conducted for all applications. Successful applicants will be contacted in writing with the conditions of the grant. All grants will be on a dollar for dollar basis.
Submission must be made prior to Monday, 26 October 2020. The successful applicants will be notified by letter of the conditions of the grant and required to complete the approved works by Friday 11 June 2021.
An inspection will be made to verify completion of the proposed works in accordance with council’s requirements and any conditions imposed upon the successful funding.
All works must be satisfactory and paid in full before the release of funding. Should you wish to discuss a grant funding project please contact Claudia Miro, Senior Heritage Specialist, Strategic Planning Unit on 9710 0181.
Please send your application to:
Chief Executive Officer
Att: Heritage Building Grants 2020 - 2021
Sutherland Shire Council
Locked Bag 17
SUTHERLAND NSW 1499
Or email to