Food Business

Operating a food business without consent is an offence. New owners should check their site to see if it has appropriate development consent to operate a food business.

If the shop you are operating your food business from was previously approved for use as a food business then the existing consent still applies.  If not, a development application is required for the change of use and for any building alterations required.

Any mechanical exhaust ventilation system or non structural internal alterations to an existing food business, or a new food business covered by a previous consent  can be undertaken as complying development.

The NSW Food Authority Guidelines for Starting a Business may also help.

Food Premises - Design, Construction and Fit-out Guide

Before you open for business

You need to:

  • Register with us.  We will update our records and your food business will be included in our inspection program. There is no fee charged to register.
  • Appoint a Food Safety Supervisor (see below).
  • Meet the Food Standards Code requirements.

We work with the NSW Food Authority at the retail business level to regularly inspect cafes, restaurants and retail food outlets to verify compliance with the food standards code. 

Register your food business

Appointment of food safety supervisors

Restaurants, cafés, takeaway shops, caterers, bakeries and all retail food businesses are required to have at least 1 appropriately trained food safety supervisor, if food you prepare and serve is ready to eat, potentially hazardous (eg, needs temperature control) and not sold and served in the supplier's original package.  A food safety supervisor cannot be appointed to more than 1 food shop at the same time.

Trained food safety supervisors are required to ensure the correct handling and preparation of food at all times.  

Council does not need to be notified about the appointment of a Food Safety Supervisor.  However a copy of the food safety supervisor certificate must be kept at the food premises at all times and made readily available when call upon by Council’s Environmental Health Officers.


Food premises are classified as high, medium and low according to the health risk associated with food storage and preparation.

Council undertakes inspections as follows:

  • High risk category premises are inspected 3 times a year.
  • Medium risk twice a year.
  • Low risk once a year.

Premises are assessed for compliance with the current Food Standards Code requirements. They are checked for cleanliness, unsuitable and defective construction, labelling requirements, temperature control, food handling practices and personal hygiene of staff.  Food businesses can be downgraded to lower risk and require less inspections if they demonstrate ability to consistently comply with the Food Safety Standards.

Temporary food stalls

Temporary food stalls or a charity/not for profit organisation do not need to appoint a food safety supervisor but all other food standards must be met.  Temporary food stalls are only permitted to operate at an event that has an existing development consent or council approval that includes the sale of food. The construction, stall design and layout must comply with the NSW Food Authority's  Guidelines For Food Handling at Temporary Events

For more ore information


Inspection fees are payable for each inspection and reinspection. An invoice for payment will be sent to you along with written notification of the inspection results. 

Inspection Type Inspection Cost (reviewed annually)


Voluntary or P&C operated canteens No charge 
Privately operated canteens  $145
Childcare centre  $145
All other food premises  $160
Special advisory inspection  $160
Other services for food premises  $160

Fees reviewed annually.

Reporting food poisoning

The NSW Food Authority provides detailed information on the types, causes, symptoms and myths relating to food poisoning.

All complaints of illness suspected to be related to food should be reported to the NSW Food Authority's Helpline on tel: 1300 552 406. The Food Authority will log and assess the complaint and undertake a preliminary investigation to determine the severity and feasibility of the complaint and determine if it is part of an outbreak or a single incident food bourne illness. If it is part of an outbreak the Food Authority will conduct further investigation and liaise with NSW Health. If it is a single-incident food bourne illness, Council will be notified and conduct there own investigation.

Food codes and standards

Council information and record sheets

Cleaning and sanitising

 Food handling and hygiene

Other information


Address: ,

More information


Food Business Registration Form



Food Business Registration

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above

Have more to say? Complete our Community survey on the transformation of our website. We are focused on creating a website that provides an intuitive, easy-to-use, and efficient customer experience for our community and we need your feedback to ensure we have captured everything you’d like to see and do on our refreshed website. With the click of a button, you can help us build a better website for our community, provide your feedback now - 2021