Trees on Private Property

Trees on Private Property - Request to Review a DeterminationPlease read the information on this page before applying.

What is a Protected tree?

a) A single or multi trunked tree with a diameter of 100mm or more measured at 500mm above ground level.
b) Any bushland vegetation, including mangroves. Bushland vegetation for the purpose of this clause means vegetation which is either remnant of the natural vegetation of the land or, if altered, is representative of the structure and the floristics of the natural vegetation. For the purposes of this sub-clause, bushland vegetation includes trees of any size, shrubs and all herbaceous species; and
c) Any tree and/or riparian vegetation growing within 4 metres of a creek or watercourse.

Removal or Pruning

When you DON'T need Approval

  • When you are pruning 10% or less of your tree's canopy (this can only be done once in a calendar year).
  • When pruning a branch from your tree which extends over the roof of a residence.  Clearance pruning back to the gutter line of the residence is permissible.

In storm and emergency situations please call the SES on their 24 hr helpline on 13 25 00 to report any storm damage related to trees.

What vegetation may be removed without consent on Private property?

Provided the tree has not been identified as of heritage significance, you may remove or prune any of trees listed in the link below without applying for consent from the council. View list of species that can be removed without consent

"10/50 Clearing Entitlement"

The Rural Fire Services 10/50 Clearing Legislation allows property owners within the designated 10/50 clearing entitlement area to:

  • Clear trees on their property within 10 metres of a home, without seeking approval.
  • Clear underlying vegetation (other than trees) such as shrubs on their property within 50 metres of a home, without seeking approval.

The 10/50 clearing legislation only applies within designated 10/50 clearing entitlement areas.  Visit the Rural Fire Service website to determine whether your property can be cleared under this legislation, and any conditions that may apply.  

The 10/50 clearing legislation is solely administered by the Rural Fire Service. Council does not have access to information to advise property owners whether the rules apply to their land.  All inquiries should be directed to the Rural Fire Service or RFS Bush Fire Information Line 1800 679 737.  

Alternatively, if you are in a bushfire interface zone and have concerns for bushland areas surrounding your property, please call the Rural Fire Service directly on 9520 4040.

When you DO need Approval

In all other circumstances you require approval to prune or remove a tree on private property.

Council will provide approval to remove a tree within 3 metres of a dwelling subject to an application.

If an approval is provided for removal, council will require replacement planting at a ratio of 4:1 (2:1) so that the canopy of the Shire can be maintained for future generations.  Details of these requirements will be provided at the time of approval.  The DCP outlines council's assessment criteria when undertaking assessments.

Tree Removal or Pruning Applications on Private property

Applications for tree removal or pruning may be lodged online or manually via a form.

Tree Removal Application Fees: $164.  No Fee for tree pruning only applications

50% fee discount available for pensioner property owner.  Discounts cannot be applied for online applications but only applications lodged at Council office.

 There are 2 online application forms depending on the work requested, or you can download a form and lodge in person at Council.

Removal and Pruning

A fee applies where tree removal is involved. Approval from council is required before removing a tree on private land. Applications provide for up to 3 trees to be identified and may include tree pruning on private land.

Apply for tree REMOVAL and pruning on private property

Pruning only

Applications for tree pruning are required where pruning will exceed 10% of the tree canopy within a calendar year. Tree owners agreement is required prior to pruning being carried out.

Apply for tree pruning ONLY on private property

When tree removal is part of a Development Application

For some types of applications involving complying development, hardship or heritage you will receive a request for additional information. 

If you are proposing exempt or complying development which involves the removal or pruning of a tree, you must have council's consent for such tree works prior to obtaining complying development consent or commencing exempt development works.

You must include in your application for tree removal/pruning, plans that show the extent of the complying development works to be carried out.

A team of tree and assessment staff will assess your proposal and make a determination.

Council will not permit the removal of a significant healthy tree or element of bushland where reasonable alternatives exist on site, or where the tree is of such significance that protection is warranted.

Where tree removal/pruning approval is granted a condition of consent will apply prohibiting any tree works to be carried out until such time as all the following is provided to the council:

  • A complying development certificate from your certifier
  • A notice of appointment of Principal Certifying Authority
  • A notice of commencement of works for the development.

Should consent not be granted to remove the tree, you can lodge a development application for the proposed work.  This allows the matter to be considered in more detail, and where removal is warranted it allows the work to be linked to the carrying out of development.  Allowing for a more rigorous consideration of the issue as part of a development application is one of the safeguards built into the exempt and complying provisions.

Check your Application Status

Track the status of an existing tree application

Can I have a Determination reviewed?

You may apply for a review if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your initial application to prune or remove a tree.  You must apply in writing within 12 months of the original decision, providing additional information and reason for the review.

Review application fee: $164.  No Fee for tree pruning only applications

50% fee discount available for pensioner property owner.  Discounts cannot be applied for online applications but only applications lodged at Council office.

Request a Review of decision

Using a Private (Consulting) Arborist

If you have specific concerns about a tree you may wish at your own expense, to provide an arborist's report in support of your application. A comprehensive report prepared by a qualified and experienced (Consulting) Arborist will enable Council's assessment process to be expedited, with the cost of Council application with TRAQ report reduced to $35.00.

Council requires that you choose a (Consulting) Arborist who has:

  • ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ)
  • Membership of a professional association, such as IACA (The Institute of Australian Consulting Arborists) and Arboriculture Australia is also recommended

Guidelines for Arborist reports:

The following items must be addressed in the report

  • Who commissioned the report
  • Why the report was commissioned
  • What the report examines
  • The address of the site containing the trees
  • The methods or techniques used in the inspections, including completed TRAQ Form
  • An abstract or synopsis of the inspection
  • The date of the inspection
  • A map of the site showing the exact location of the trees and the trees numbered to correspond with the text
  • For each tree give the scientific name, common name, height, canopy spread, trunk diameter at breast height and form
  • A discussion of the data collected? This may include detailed information regarding wounds, cavities, cracks, splits, forking, root zone, pests and diseases within target zones
  • Supporting evidence such as photographs where appropriate
  • Do not list references unless they are referred to in the report
  • Do not include data unless it is used in the report to lend weight to a relevant issue
  • A discussion of all the options available using TRAQ matrices? Why they are recommended or why they are not recommended, e.g., can the building or structure be repaired and the tree retained?
  • A recommendation as to the preferred option and the reasons therefore, representing how all other mitigating options have been exhausted before removal is recommended. Recommendation to align with residual risk outcomes using the TRAQ matrices.
  • The report must also contain the Arborist, company and contact details including TRAQ Qualification Number of the person and company who prepared the report.

The above list is not exhaustive and there may be other site considerations necessary to ensure adequate information is supplied to Council.

Once you've received permission to prune or remove a tree, the following tips when engaging a practicing (Amentity) Arborist may assist:

  • Pruning is critical to a tree's future health and structure and you should ensure you engage a skilled Arborist qualified to a minimum of AQF Level 3.
  • Tree removal needs to be undertaken safely for the preservation of both life and property.
  • Ensure your selected Arborist or Tree Services Company is fully insured and can offer you up to date certificates for public liability, work cover, and professional indemnity.
  • Anyone you engage to work on your property should be able to provide an ABN.
  • It is recommended that full or final payment be provided only upon full completion of works as agreed. This may include removal or trunk or branches and/or stump grinding.

Does Council have a list of recommended (Amenity) Arborists?

Council does not have a list of arborists and cannot recommend particular arborists. Current membership of a professional association, such as the Tree Contractors Association (TCA) and Arboriculture Australia is recommended. Council suggests you check the contractor's qualifications and insurances.


Address: ,

More information

Policies and documents

Urban Tree and Bushland Policy Public Liability relating to Trees Policy


Tree removal or pruning on private property Trees on Private Property - Hardship Consideration Trees on Private Property - Request to Review a Determination



Report Tree Vandalism Tree removal or pruning on private property Tree pruning only on private property Request to review a council decision Hardship consideration


Tree Tracker

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above