Trees on Neighbour’s Property

Overhanging branches

  • First, talk to your neighbour to ask permission to prune the overhanging branch.
  • If you are pruning less than 10% of the tree, you do not need council approval.
  • Any costs associated with tree pruning or removal needs to be negotiated with your neighbour.

Trees blocking views

  • First, talk to your neighbour.
  • There is nothing council can do in regards to a neighbour tree blocking a view.
  • If escalated, can proceed to independent mediation or the Land Environment Court (council does not get involved).

Trees on neighbours property causing damage or overhanging my property

  • Assessment of the tree pruning or removal needs to come from the property owner that the tree is on.
  • Talk to your neighbour and ask your neighbour to lodge an application to council to assess the tree for pruning or removal.
  • If your neighbour is unwilling to cooperate you can pursue action through the Land and Environment Court.
  • In extreme circumstances of immediate threat to property, you can contact council for assessment and possible enforcement of action. 

Apply for tree removal or pruning on private property

 Bushfire threat

  • Talk to your neighbour to discuss their bushfire management plan, and possible pruning of overhanging branches etc.
  • If your neighbour is unwilling to remove foliage, you can request the RFS to carry out a bushfire threat assessment.


Address: ,

More information

Policies and documents

Urban Tree and Bushland Policy Public Liability relating to Trees Policy


Tree removal or pruning on private property



Report It - Trees Tree removal or pruning on private property Review of a council tree decision Apply for hardship consideration


Track the status of my tree application

Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above