Dogs on leash
Many parks and reserves will indicate the above requirements with this sign:
Dogs must be on a leash in all parks, reserves, beaches, foreshores, bathing areas and tidal pools and public places (unless signage indicates it is dog off leash area).
Dog prohibited areas
If you see this sign it means that dogs are completely prohibited regardless of whether they are leashed or not.
Dogs are prohibited within:
- 10 metres of playgrounds and play equipment.
- 10 metres of food outlets, except if the place is in a public thoroughfare (such as a road, footpath or pathway).
- Child care centres.
- Shopping arcades or shopping complexes, including parking areas or access to shops.
- Any area set apart for the protection of wildlife.
Dogs are also prohibited in the following reserves because of the sensitive environmental nature and for the protection of wildlife:
Dog off leash areas
Council provides 5 dog off leash areas. A dog off leash area is indicated by the following sign:
Check signs at each site for specific dog off leash times and other regulations.
- Do not take dogs suffering from a contagious disease, skin irritation or parasitic infection to off leash areas.
- Dogs off leash must be under the control of a competent person.
- Please respect the environment and the enjoyment of others using our outdoor areas and immediately 'scoop the poop' and appropriately dispose of it.
View dog off leash areas
Outdoor dining areas
The Companion Animals Act allows cafe and restaurant operators to decide whether to allow dogs in outdoor dining areas. Strict conditions apply:
- The outdoor dining area must not be enclosed and must be able to be entered by the public without passing through an enclosed area.
- Dog must be on a leash and on the ground at all times.
- Dogs can be provided with a drink but not food.
- Dangerous, menacing and restricted dogs are prohibited.
- Dogs are not allowed in or near food preparation areas.
Report an aggressive or attacking dog
Enquiries can be directed to Customer Service on 9710 0333 or firstname.lastname@example.org