Any dog that is unattended in a public place may be picked up by us. If we are unable to contact the owner, the animal will be taken to our Animal Shelter.
If you find or have lost a dog, the more information you can give us the better eg, the breed, time and date last sighted, microchip number, where you found/saw the animal, its current location and its name if on collar.
- If we have collected a lost dog, if it can't be taken home or the owner cannot be immediately located we will take the dog to be housed at our Animal Shelter.
- Registered animals will be housed at the Animal Shelter for 14 days. During that time every effort to contact the owner will be made using the information we have.
- Unregistered animals will be housed at the Shelter for 7 days.
- If the animal's owners have not been located at the end of these periods, the animal will be sold.
- If you report your dog missing to us we will check to see if it is at our Animal Shelter.
- We will also record your pet as as missing on the NSW Companion Animals Register.
- Council does not trap, pick up stray cats or search for lost cats.
- If you have found a cat and know who it belongs ensure you return it to its owner.
- If you find a cat and you don't know who the owner is a vet may assist you to check if it is microchipped. Alternatively, contact our Animal Shelter to see if it has room to accommodate the animal prior to you taking it there.
Finding your pet
If you have reported a lost pet to us and find it, let us know and we will update the Companion Animal Register to state the animal has been found.
Collection of animal
- The Animal Shelter will require proof of identification to confirm ownership.
- If you are picking the animal up on behalf of an owner, a letter of authority from the owner is required before the animal can be released
- Unregistered animals or animals not microchipped will need to have both procedures completed at the Animal Shelter before they can be released.
Before your pet can be released fees are payable:
- $105 for impounding .
- $35 for each day the animal was at the Shelter which covers the cost of feeding and shelter.
- Additional fees apply if the animal needs to be microchipped and/or registered.
Enquiries can be directed to Animal Shelter Officer on 9710 0401 or