Council provides and maintains over 160 sporting fields including cricket nets, netball courts, tennis courts and golf courses.
Seasonal bookings - sporting facilities
For regular hirers, whether schools or sporting associations, we will contact you when it is time to re-book.
With school bookings, priority is given to Sutherland Shire schools.
If you are a new customer, contact us for assistance.
Book a school athletics or zone carnival
Kareela Synthetic Fields
Bookings are now closed for sporting clubs/associations for Summer 2015. Casual bookings are still available.
Kareela Synthetic Fields casual booking enquiries
Club competition dates
Second Saturday in September to second Sunday in March.
Second Saturday in March to last Sunday in August.
Club pre-season usage of fields
Pre-season ground allocations for trials, grading and training are based on what's available around the currents season's bookings. The period allocated is usually 4 weeks prior to the start of competition. Sporting associations will be given their allocation which they can pass onto their clubs.
Any current users will always have priority over any incoming sport and associations must ensure that all clubs are aware of this rule and abide by it.
Repairs, maintenance and improvements
There is a 2 week break between seasons to allow council to repair, renovate and prepare fields for the upcoming season.
Council also has a year round maintenance program.
Covering/uncovering cricket wickets
- Council undertakes covering and uncovering of cricket wickets in the 2 week change of season period.
- Clubs who own synthetic cover are responsible to cover and uncover the pitch respectively, prior to the commencement of each season.
Grounds are mowed weekly in summer and fortnightly in winter (weather permitting).
Notify council if your club is hosting a grand final, representative fixtures or special events and we will endeavour to ensure the ground is ready.
Clubs wishing to turf their ovals outside of any of our planned renovation work should contact us.
Floodlights and electricity usage
- Lights are set 4 times per year at no charge, once for each season and once for each daylight saving time change.
- Any changes to the floodlight timers made by clubs during the season will incur a fee.
- On/off switches are located on all grounds. Turning floodlights off at the end of a night will assist clubs in minimising their electricity costs.
- Electricity costs are paid for by the user including the club building, security lights and floodlights.
Clubs purchase their linemarking materials from council. At the start of each season, sporting associations will receive a linemarking purchase authority letter from us.
Purchase and collection
Payment for bags are to be made a council's customer service centre
. Bags are collected (receipt must be shown) from the Bath Road Depot Store (open Mondays to Thursdays, 7am to 3pm).
We will assist associations with permit requirements to hold presentation days for their clubs.
Policies and documents
Liquor Licences on Council Property Policy
Night Competition Games on Active Open Space Policy
Open Space Land Acquisition Policy
Active Playing Fields Service Plan Policy
Plans of Management - Sportsgrounds
Kareela Synthetic Fields Casual Bookings
School Athletics and Zone Carnival Bookings
Enquiries can be directed to Sport and Recreation on 9710 0333 or email@example.com