Dogs on leash
Dogs must be on a leash at all times in all public places, including parks, reserves, foreshores and bushland areas, unless stated otherwise.
On the spot penalties may apply if you do you not have your dog on a leash in a public place.
Dog prohibited areas
Dogs are prohibited in the following areas, even if they are leashed:
- 10 metres of playgrounds and play equipment.
- 10 metres of food outlets, except if the place is in a public thoroughfare (such as a road, footpath or pathway).
- Child care centres.
- Shopping arcades or shopping complexes, including parking areas or access to shops.
- Any area set apart for the protection of wildlife.
If you see this sign it means that dogs are completely prohibited from the area:
Dogs are prohibited in the following reserves because of the sensitive environmental nature and for the protection of wildlife:
Dog off leash areas
Dogs may be off leash only in designated off leash areas.
Council provides 6 dog off leash areas. A dog off leash area is indicated by the following sign:
Check signs at each site for specific dog off leash times and other regulations.
- Do not take dogs suffering from a contagious disease, skin irritation or parasitic infection to off leash areas.
- Dogs off leash must be under the control of a competent person.
- Please respect the environment and the enjoyment of others using our outdoor areas and immediately 'scoop the poop' and appropriately dispose of it.
- Dog off leash areas may consist of naturally occurring risks and hazards. Please assess the conditions before using any dog off-leash area.
View dog off leash areas
Outdoor dining areas
The Companion Animals Act allows cafe and restaurant operators to decide whether to allow dogs in outdoor dining areas. Strict conditions apply:
- The outdoor dining area must not be enclosed and must be able to be entered by the public without passing through an enclosed area.
- Dog must be on a leash and on the ground at all times.
- Dogs can be provided with a drink but not food.
- Dangerous, menacing and restricted dogs are prohibited.
- Dogs are not allowed in or near food preparation areas.
Report an aggressive or attacking dog
Enquiries can be directed to Customer Service on 9710 0333 or firstname.lastname@example.org