Council's Surf Education Program for local and south western Sydney schools has been in operation for over 20 years with over 1,500 students participating each year.
Our fun and interactive courses provide students with knowledge and skills to allow them enjoy a safe time at our beaches. With about 60 children drowning in Australia's beaches each year the knowledge students gain through our programs enables them to make informed judgments on beach safety and learn about appropriate behaviour in the surf.
Surf Awareness Course - 4 hours
- $5.00 per student per course
- Designed for upper primary school students
Students are taught:
- how to identify potential dangers
- recognise safe and unsafe swimming areas
- learn how to identify rips and currents.
Students learn about different wave types and how they are formed while also being instructed on important emergency response procedures. The course also provides instruction on swimming and deep water flotation techniques, skills in correct board paddling. Students also have the opportunity to use their knowledge to identify dangers during a beach walk.
Surf Survival Course - 8 hours
- $33 per student per term, *max 20 students
- Designed for high school students.
The course covers the curriculum outlined in the Surf Awareness Course and additionally allows students to learn valuable rescue techniques and CPR procedures.
It can be presented in any order depending on conditions on the day and school requirements.
Surf Safety Talk - 45 minutes
- For all Sutherland Shire schools - $45
- During the cooler months of winter we offer a 45 minute Interactive Surf Safety Talk which involves a lifeguard coming to your school.
An educational DVD is shown and the lifeguard gives a talk to the students about the beach environment and surf safety issues.
Hire a lifeguard for school picnics
Contract lifeguard services are available for school picnics at $45 per hour.
Courses run for a set time with flexibility around how they are spread out. For example, the 8 hour Surf Survival Course can be spread over 8 weeks at 1 hour per week (eg for school sport) or in 2 lots of 4 hour sessions, or perhaps another combination.
Let us know your preference by completing the online enquiry form.
Course times are subject to availability of lifeguards.
Use this online enquiry form and a surf education office will contact you.
Book a Surf Education Course / Hire a Lifeguard
Surfhero - survive with Sonny!
Our beach mascot Sonny has lots to tell everyone about surf safety. Visit our Surfhero website just for kids and find out a range of fund surf educational activities which have been designed to help children develop a better understand the beach environment.
Keep an eye out for Sonny at events throughout the Shire. The beach can be very dangerous so always swim between the flags at a patrolled beach.
- An additional lifeguard hire fee of $45 per hour is required to be paid by schools outside the Sutherland Shire per group of 20 students.
- For schools with over 20 students, additional lifeguards will be required at $45 per hour per lifeguard. e.g 20 students 1 lifeguard, 20-40 students 2 lifeguards, 40-60 students 3 lifeguards.
Enquiries can be directed to Surf Education Officer on 8522 2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org