Eastern streetscape upgrade, including widening of the footpath, road works, and changes to the bus stop layout.
Reason for works
The upgrade works will improve the amenity of Sylvania Shopping Centre streetscape and deliver benefits to the community and local business operators.
The upgrade will:
- Improve the pedestrian access to the shopping centre.
- Address footpath issues to meet current standards.
- Address public transport and adjacent traffic management matters.
- Widen the footpath to encourage al fresco dining opportunities.
- Remove aging infrastructure, and improve streetscape.
Scope of works
The works include:
- Widening of the existing footpath.
- Construction of access ramps, to meet mobility standards.
- Re-alignment of the kerb and gutter.
- Construction of a concrete parking lane.
- Improvements to the stormwater drainage (dish drain, pits & lintels).
- Replacement of the existing non-conforming Telstra pits within the footpath area.
- Relocation of the Sylvania suburb marker.
- Renewal of regulatory roadside signage.
- Installation of new garden beds, tree pits, and street trees.
- Installation of new street furnishings.
- Installation of new solar powered rubbish bin/compactors.
The expected delivery milestones are:
- Initial public consultation on Masterplan - Mar 2015 - Completed
- Community & Business consultation (focussing on the Centre) - 17 & 24 Feb 2016 - Completed
- Project identified from the Masterplan - Mar 2016
- Detail design - Aug 2016 - Completed
- Procurement - Sept 2016 - Completed
- Tender award - Dec 2016 - Completed
- Public information meeting - 31 January 2017 at 6:30pm
- Commence site works - Feb 2017
- Practical completion - June 2017
Public impacts during construction
The majority of the shopping centre will be available to the public at all times. However, there will be some traffic control and rerouting of the traffic. There will also be pedestrian control which maintains access to the business premises and the surrounding areas.
- Alternate vehicle routes will be available during some of the construction work.
- There will be limitations to the parking within shopping centre however, additional parking is available at Sylvania Wharf (Tom Ugly's) and within adjoining side streets.
- The bus stop will be temporarily relocated to the Sylvania public school driveway just south of the footbridge.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience that the upgrades will cause, and Council will work with the contractor to minimise the effects.
We understand that this work will have an impact on you and your neighbours. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
This project is jointly funded by Council from the SITA / SUEZ contributions (under their funding agreement) and the NSW Environment & Protection Authority from their Better Waste and Recycling Fund.