Design and construction of a new Rural Bush Fire Station.
Works start date:
Works end date:
Reason for works
The existing facility at 198 St George Cres, Sandy Point can no longer meet the functional requirements of a modern rural fire station due to greater need for storage, and changes in operational functions.
The completion of a new facility will improve response times to bush fire and emergency events. The new station will be better able to house rural fire fighters during normal operations, and staging, during major bush fire events.
Scope of works
The purpose of the project is to improve the facilities of the Sandy Point Rural Bush Fire Brigade. The project scope involves the construction of a new building to house Volunteer Rural Fire Services and it's fire fighting equipment.
The design for the new facility will include:-
- Garage for 2 fire tankers, 1 support vehicle, and 1 fire fighting trailer.
- Workshop, store room, and office for the Brigade Captain.
- Training / function room, & amenities.
- Hose drying yard and pole.
- Associated car parking.
Council promotes environmentally friendly development and, where appropriate, adopts energy saving principles and systems within it's building, plant and equipment.
The delivery milestones include:-
- Concept Design – March 2013 - Completed
- Tender for the design – May 2016 - Completed
- Development Application - Mar 2017 - Completed
- Construction Tender - Apr/May 2017 - Completed
- Contractor Appointment - Jun 2017 - Completed
- Final design (completed by Contractor) – Jun 2017 - Completed
- Commence site establishment works - Jun 2017 - Completed
- Demolition of existing fire station - early July 2017 - Completed
- Excavation for new building slab - Aug 2017 - Completed
- Pour & cure floor slab - Sept 2017 - Completed
- Framework for new Fire Station - late Sept 2017 - Completed
- Cladding of building structure -Nov 2017 - Completed
- Internal fit-out - Dec/ Jan 2018 - Completed
- External paving and landscaping works - Jan 2018 - Completed
- Practical Completion - mid May 2018
- Handover to Rural Fire Service - June 2018
The official opening of the new Fire Brigade Station will take place on Saturday, 15 September 2018.
Public impacts during construction
There will be no interruptions to the rural bush fire service, as the Sandy Point Brigade will continue to provide services from an alternate facility, during construction.
There may be minor traffic delays during the delivery of materials and some impacts on local parking during construction works.
This project is jointly funded by Sutherland Shire Council and the NSW Rural Fire Service.