Construction of connecting pathways, seawall construction and landscaping works.
Scope of works
The Stage 2 work includes:
- Cantilevered footpath along reserve edge adjacent to Brighton Street (including handrails);
- New entry to Sydney Water pumping station;
- Reconstruction of northern stairs including lighting;
- Raised threshold pedestrian crossing near intersection of Loftus Street;
- Installation of seating, bollards, and bins;
- Upgraded drainage works;
- Planting and softworks.
The Stage 4 work includes:
- Construction of a new revetment wall along Bundeena Creek using a combination of rectangular cut and rip rap sandstone boulders;
- Connecting waterfront path.
The delivery milestones are:
- Detail design - completed 2014
- Statutory approvals - completed 2016
- Site establishment - July 2016
- Stormwater Drainage - completed Sept 2016
- Revetment Wall construction - completed Nov 2016
- Path network - completed Nov 2016
- Stairs and handrails - early Feb 2017
- Installation of light poles and stair lights - April 2017
- Electrification of pole and handrail lights - mid May 2017
- Permanent pedestrian crossing - May 2017
Some delays are being experienced whilst the project awaits service connections by a Utility Authority and completion of fencing fabrication.
Council is working together with Ausgrid to allow the removal of existing poles and overhead lines and compliance inspections for trenching and conduits. We are also working with the metal fabricators to complete all other handrail & balustrade components.
There are now some works that will not be completed until early May 2017, these are:
- Installation of the permanent pedestrian crossing at Loftus Street, as the conduits are below this location. A temporary asphalt crossing is installed until permanent works can be completed.
- Removal of the light pole at Sydney Water asset site and consequent completion of the cantilevered path.
- Modification to handrail on cantilevered footpath.
- Installation of interpretive, signage.
- Completion of landscaping at the northern end (near ferry connection) of the park.
The majority of the site is fully functional and we appreciate your patience and understanding whilst we complete these works.
Public impacts during construction
- Alternative access to the beach will be provided.
- There will be limited use of the park for the duration of the works however, the playground equipment area will remain open to the public.
- Some minor traffic delays may be experienced during the delivery of materials, equipment, and removal of spoil.
- There may be an increase in dust and noise from time to time, as we upgrade these facilities.
- Temporary loss of on street parking on the west side of Brighton Street.
There will be temporary re-direction of the lower reaches of Bundeena Creek to allow for seawall construction, which will be returned to it's natural alignment on completion.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience that may be caused by this work, and will endeavour to minimise the effects.
The project is funded by Sutherland Shire Council to the value of $1,758,393, and includes Stormwater Levy and Section 94 contributions.