Construction of a car park, picnic area, kayak launching facility and boat pick-up and drop-off point.
Works start date:
Works end date:
7R Old Ferry Road, west of the roundabout on the northern end of Old Ferry Road, Illawong
View on map
Reason for works
The objectives of the works are to:
- Improve the amenity, safety, functionality and recreational opportunity of the public open space;
- Improve the environmental quality of the land and foreshore;
- Improve the provision of water-based recreational opportunities;
- Protect sites of historical and environmental significance.
Scope of works
This project will involve a complete upgrade of the reserve at the end of Old Ferry Road, Illawong. Small watercraft access will be made available to the local foreshore areas with the installation of a SCLIF (Small Craft Low Impact Facility). This facility will be the first of its kind within the Sutherland Shire local government area.
The work for this project includes the construction of:
- Carpark with roadway and a roundabout;
- Picnic area;
- Kayak launching facility;
- Boat pick-up and drop-off point;
- Pedestrian path;
- Retaining walls;
- Riverbank stabilisation;
- Garden beds;
- Saltmarsh areas;
- Storm water infrastructure; &
- Signage and line marking.
The delivery milestones are:
- Concept Design – May 2015 - Complete
- Detailed Design – November 2018 - Complete
- Tender - July 2019 - Complete
- Site Establishment – August 2019 - Complete
- Practical Completion - February 2020 - Complete
Public impacts during construction
The site area will be closed for public use during the construction period. The site contains some contaminated soil which will be remediated, including small amounts of asbestos. All works are in accordance with Safety Regulations.
There are some trees that require removal for the works. Five (5) trees are endemic species, so will be off-set, by planting 25 new trees within the local area. Approximately 15 trees are pest species, so will not be replaced.
There may be an increase in dust and noise from time to time, as we upgrade these facilities.
All other boat ramp locations within Sutherland Shire are listed here for your convenience.
Access to the western lots on Old Ferry Road will be made available during the works.
This project is jointly funded by the Roads and Maritime Services under the Boating Now Program, the Department of Planning and, Sutherland Shire Council from Section 94 Contributions.