Resurfacing the existing athletics track, including other field facilities.
Works start date:
Works end date:
225 Belgrave Esplanade, Sylvania Waters
View on map
Reason for works
Sylvania Waters Athletics Track is a regionally significant facility that is widely used by athletics clubs, little athletics, school groups and the general community.
Council have been planning the new track surface at Sylvania Waters Athletics Track for more than two years. The track will be IAAF* rated and rejuvenated to a point where we will be able to attract regional and state athletics competitions. The new track surface at Sylvania Waters Athletic Track will deliver a number of long awaited benefits to the community. For a number of years the track surface has required annual repair using a UV tolerant mix. The new track surface can no longer be delayed, as repairs are costly and only provide a temporary solution for our regular users.
Council's scheduling of the full resurface will allow the Regional facility to be utilised for the peak of the 2016/2017 athletics season.
* IAAF - International Association of Athletics Federation.
Scope of works
The programmed works will rejuvenate the existing synthetic athletics track, long/ triple jump and shot-put areas to meet IAAF Class 2 compliance.
Upgrade works included:
- Removal and disposal of the aged, delaminated & deteriorated track surface.
- Milling of the aged asphalt surface and corrective drainage works.
- Replacement of metal track edgeing.
- New asphalt sub base layers.
- Replacement of long/ & triple jump take off area and launch boards.
- Improve drainage within the shot-put areas.
- Install new synthetic track surface ( IAAF Approved ‘Sandwich System’ ).
- Provide new lane marking.
- Install 2 new internal lane gates (1 at finish line and 1 at 200m start line).
- IAAF class 2 certification of the track.
The delivery milestones are:
- Project commencement - mid January 2017
- Demolition and excavation work - expected by end January 2017
- Sub base rectification work and application of new synthetic surface - expected by end April 2017
- Practical completion - early May 2017
Public impacts during construction
The track and surrounding area will be fenced off and unavailable to the public for a 12 week period during the resurfacing works.
Parking adjacent to the track and baseball fields will remain accessible to the public:
- The secure parking available for the athletics track use will be available for overflow parking for other sporting events during this event (via prior arrangement).
These works have been scheduled in consultation with the main user groups to minimise impact on the athletics season. Regular user groups of the athletics track will be temporarily relocated to Waratah Athletics Track (grass) or The Ridge Athletics Track (synthetic).
- Casual users of the track are also welcome to utilise alternate facilities at Waratah Athletics Track (grass) or The Ridge Athletics Track (synthetic).
Sutherland Shire Council are working with events that have historically utilised the track to identify alternate venues to suit their needs. We regret any inconvenience that may be caused by this work but look forward to opening the rejuvenated facility to the community mid 2017.
This project is fully funded by Sutherland Shire Council.
Sutherland Shire Council is working with Relay For Life organisers to continue planning for the 2017 Relay at a new Shire location. See the Relay for Life Media Release published on 7 November 2016.