Many families will spend their Christmas and summer holidays splashing in the pool. To enjoy all water activities, the safety of our children should be a primary concern.
Here are some tips on how to stay safe and have peace of mind.
• Get your kids up to date on water safety i.e. what they should and not do in the water, when and how to call for help, etc.
• Keep your kids supervised at all times.
• Have the pool gate always open outwards away from your swimming pool.
• Make sure your pool gate is self-closing and self-latching. The height of the latch should be at least 1500mm. The hinges should be 900mm apart, so they don't become a hole for small children to enter the pool area.
• Display a resuscitation chart facing the pool and don’t block it with landscaping. It must be visible.
• Keep outdoor furniture items, pot plants and trees away from the gate and fence. They could help children climb over into the pool area.
• Ensure gaps in the fence are not greater than 100mm and under it are not greater than 100mm.
For more information on pool safety and compliance, visit our Pools and Spas page.