At Sutherland Shire Council we value our employees and their contribution to the organisation’s delivery of an extensive range of services, infrastructure and facilities for the community.
We look for people who:
- Act with honesty and integrity.
- Prioritise customer service.
- Treat others with respect.
- Demonstrate leadership and ingenuity.
Rewards and benefits
Council has a range of policies and incentives to maintain a positive work/life balance which include:
- Job rotation.
- Job share/part time and casual work.
- Leave entitlements.
- Support to volunteer and participate in council decision making processes, through the Consultative Committee, EEO Advisory Committee and Work Health and Safety Committees.
- Corporate membership to Sutherland Shire Leisure Centres.
- Social activities, welfare benefits and sickness benefits through Sutherland Shire Council Employees Social and Welfare Centre.
- Employee assistance program for personal and work counselling.
- Commitment to Work Health and Safety to provide a safe work environment and to rehabilitate injured workers.
Learning and development
To increase skills, knowledge and expertise, council offers:
- Internal or external training courses.
- Study assistance.
- Attendance at conferences/seminars/workshops.
- Participation in project teams, focus groups and team challenges.
- Job rotations, secondments, and opportunities to act in higher grade positions.
Diversity and inclusion
Council recognises its employees require a diverse, inclusive, safe and supportive environment to make us stronger, smarter, more innovative and responsive. You are welcome whatever your gender, religion, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, level of education or family responsibilities.
To support our diverse workforce we provide:
- Indigenous traineeships.
- People with a Disability traineeships.
- Development opportunities or education specifically targeted at women.
- Celebration of special events such as International Women's Day.
- Recruitment and promotion on merit.
- Flexible work arrangements.
- Study leave and financial assistance for eligible staff.
Defence Force Reserves support
Council is proud to support our staff who are Defence Force volunteers (including Army, Navy and Airforce) and staff can apply for leave to attend Defence Force training and we will pay an allowance which is the difference between the pay received from the Department of Defence and ordinary wages.
Policies and documents
Code of Conduct