Sutherland Shire Libraries support school students completing their ‘service’ volunteering component of their Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
How to apply
Students who wish to be considered for the Duke of Edinburgh program must apply online through the form below.
Students who are successful for the program will be notified by email. They must confirm their acceptance of the position and also:
- Complete an online induction course
- Complete an onsite WHS induction on their first day of volunteering
- Submit all necessary documentation in person on their first day of volunteering
- Commit one hour of volunteering per week during the school term
Unsuccessful applicants are invited to reapply for the program the following term.
What volunteering involves
Volunteers may be required for the following tasks:
- Shelving – putting library books on shelves in the correct place, or removing items as required
- Shelf tidying – ensuring that items are on the shelf in the correct order
- Preparation of craft and other items for library programs (cutting, gluing, colouring etc)
- Customer Service – assisting library patrons with self checkout
- Administration – eg: paper filling of photocopiers, adhering labels to book spines
Optional volunteering tasks may be available for students with particular skills in:
- Photography - eg: taking and editing photographs for library promotional purposes
- Writing - eg: book reviews for YA, blogs, volunteer magazine articles
- Reading - eg: new releases for the purposes of writing reviews
- IT - electronic tagging of resources
- Hosting & Leadership - eg: youth events where leaders are required, Youth Advisory Group
- Displays - assisting with the creation of promotional displays
Successful applicants under 18 will need parental permission to participate in the program and will receive email notification on how to do so.
Successful applicants must bring the signed permission note on their first day.
Applications for Term 3 have been accepted and the program is now full. Applications for Term 4 will open on Monday, 4 September 2017.
Enquiries can be directed to Alison Bambach on 9710 0178 or firstname.lastname@example.org