Thank you for your interest in participating in the Duke of Edinburg volunteer program at Sutherland Shire Library. All positions for terms 1 and 2 2019 are filled. Applications for terms 3 and 4 will open on Monday 3rd June, 2019. Applications will be accepted on a first in, first served basis. There is no waitlist. For any enquiries please call Ingrid Micallef on 9710 0218.
How to apply
Students who wish to be considered for the Duke of Edinburgh program must apply online through the form linked from this page.
Students who are successful for the program will be notified by email. They must confirm their acceptance of the position and also:
- Complete 4 online induction courses
- Complete an onsite WHS induction on their first day of volunteering
- Submit all necessary documentation in person on their first day of volunteering
- Commit one hour of volunteering per week during the school term
Unsuccessful applicants are invited to reapply for the program the following term.
What volunteering involves
Duke of Edinburgh Volunteering is offered at Sutherland Library on Thursdays from 4-5pm. Volunteers must be available each week during the school term at this time.
Volunteers may be required for the following tasks:
- Shelving – putting library books on shelves in the correct place, or removing items as required
- Shelf tidying – ensuring that items are on the shelf in the correct order
- Preparation of craft and other items for library programs (cutting, gluing, colouring etc)
- Customer Service – assisting library patrons with self checkout
- Administration – eg: paper filling of photocopiers, adhering labels to book spines
- Assisting in the preparation of the children’s program KidsQuest.
- Assisting children with tasks in the Children’s program KidsQuest.
Optional volunteering tasks may be available for students with particular skills in:
- Photography - eg: taking and editing photographs for library promotional purposes
- Writing - eg: book reviews for YA, blogs, volunteer magazine articles
- Reading - eg: new releases for the purposes of writing reviews
- Hosting & Leadership - eg: youth events where leaders are required, Youth Advisory Group
- Displays - assisting with the creation of promotional displays
Successful applicants under 18 will need parental permission to participate in the program and will receive email notification on how to do so.
Successful applicants must bring the signed permission note on their first day.
Enquiries can be directed to Team Leader, Children & Youth at Sutherland Library on 9710 0218 or firstname.lastname@example.org