Books Before School
Do you have a baby or preschool child between the ages of 0-6? Why not join Sutherland Libraries’ Books Before School program.
Parents are a child’s first and most important teacher. Research shows that reading aloud is the single most important thing you can do to help a child prepare for reading and learning. Regularly reading to your child has many benefits including:
- stronger parent and child bonds
- a love of language and books
- school success
- increased vocabulary
- greater general knowledge
- a positive attitude to reading and learning
The Library's Books Before School program aims to encourage and support parents to read regularly with their child before they start school.
By reading only 4 books a week from birth children will have read 1000 books before they start school.
How it Works
- Register your child.
- Download and print a reading log or collect one from any Sutherland Shire Library.
- Mark the log whenever you read to your child. All books count – library books, books read at home, playgroup, childcare, ebooks. Whenever your child hears a book it counts! Borrowbox, Overdrive and Story Box Library on the library’s website are a great source of stories to share with your child.
- As you reach 100, 250, 500 and 750 books you can collect a milestone certificate from any of our libraries.
- The program finishes when your child starts school or reads 1000 books, whichever comes first, then collect your Books Before School certificate and a free book to keep from the library.
Register Now Print a Reading Log